Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Quantize change of track/phrase/song to end of bar, not end of longest phrase

Currently, when there is a long loop playing as one of the active tracks and you want to switch to something else, when you press the group or track button it queues the start of the next thing and only switches when the current longest phrase ends. You can turn the main knob right to add repeats of the current phrase before change, but there is no way to make it switch at the end of bar.

As this option is not available, it doesn't make sense to record very long loops, like 32 bar ones with subtle variation and use them as texture or harmony, as switching to next track will make me wait through the whole 32 bars. It definitely limits variation I can add to the song and makes it sound more "loopy". There are workarounds, but they feel like hacks.

The obvious way would be to add an option "BAR" when user turns the knob left after queuing the next phrase. The same applies to song change.

This seems like a very simple fix, anyone up to implementing it?

Tagged:

Comments

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611

can see the value in this, as i've had moments playing live where i expected things to shift at the next bar but didnt. i recently learned that ableton has this feature and it's called launching quantization which can be set from multiple bars to as quick as 1/16th or so. but things can start to get launched out of sync too.

laikrodizlaikrodiz Beta Tester Posts: 28

@reza
    So far I have been fixing it the following way with a hack:

• Sample the audio into a long audio track
    • Save the project, so the audio track gets saved as a file
    • Go into audio track and press Browse, so that the file is proposed to be selected
    • Select the same file and go back
    • Create a new kit and add a sound, the browser will propose to add the last file, which is the audio file you recorded, select it
    • Make it a 1 bar long loop. As it covers full 1 bar, it will actually not restart at the end of the bar, but continue playing
    • Delete the actual audio track in the song mode

This way when you launch this kit, it's 1 bar long in the song mode, but the real length can be whatever you want, as it's just holding the trigger until the sound ends, then restarts it.

This approach is cumbersome and feels like a hack, but it works. Would be much easier, if i could just switch to 1 bar quantize on the fly in audio file or whatever long track there is.

laikrodizlaikrodiz Beta Tester Posts: 28

@Alter maybe you would be interested in implementing this in your version of firmware? You already have a number of cool things done and I prefer your firmware over the original one.

tobiasphilippentobiasphilippen GermanyPosts: 3

@laikrodiz, I completely agree. Or I would even go further and say: I suppose, there might be situations where the current implementation makes sense, but most of the time it does not. When you launch something you want to be able to know when it actually starts and not be bound to memorize what your longest clip is ... And of course, if you do have a longer clip in your session, there is no "quantized" way of launching other clips in the middle of that part.
    I think, the firmware should incorporate launching exactly is Ableton Live does: You choose your launch quantization, and when you start clips they will launch according to this setting. I think the way it is done now on the Deluge is very impractical and it should be changed.