Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Help a complete novice - Deluge & Roland jv1010 set up

SpelunkingSpelunking LiverpoolPosts: 4

Hello I would appreciate anyone’s advice and assistance in setting up the deluge with my first piece of hardware
My aim is to play Roland jv-1010 with deluge pads - is this possible?
If not I guess I need to first buy midi controller

Roland jv-1010 is sound module multitimbral 16 separate tracks so I wondered if I can play via deluge - midi Channels 1-16 - 16 separate sounds
How would I set this up via midi
I know little about midi - I have midi cable but don’t know which device should be midi in and also midi out and what I need to do to set the deluge up so they talk to each other
Ideally I wanted to play - record on deluge up to 16 separate channels of sounds from the Roland module (jv1010 has no keys)
Eg: Drums ,piano ,organ ,orchestral ,synth , sound effects etc
Any pointers, videos to watch etc or easy terminology to help I would be very grateful
I have YouTubed and seen videos with setting up in ableton etc but looking to do this via hardware

Comments

chrisrolandchrisroland United StatesPosts: 40

each MIDI track on the JV (assign the voices however you want, and however it lets you) should be assigned to a corresponding MIDI Track on Deluge, e.g., if you want a Piano on JV's MIDI Channel 1, then the Deluge MIDI Track would also be set to MIDI Ch. 1. and so forth for the other 15 channels (I don't know if the JV allows you to split or map multiple patches across the keyboard on a single MIDI channel but that might be another way to squeeze more voices as long as you don't bump up against its maximum polyphony)

as currently configured, Deluge also requires you to "learn" a given external MIDI device every time you want to play it into Deluge so that is probably going to be the most tedious part of switching between however many channels/tracks you might end up sequencing on the JV

Thank you for comment - I’ll have another go - at present all I’m using is deluge and Roland jv1010 module - I havent got midi keyboard

I have midi in going into Roland sound module and midi out going into deluge

On module I have part 1 and on deluge I’m on midi channel 1 - I thought I could press preview button on module that plays about 10 seconds of sound while I pressed midi learn and audition pad but it’s stays flashing red rather than going white .

I presume I’ve got the midi cables correct as on module the midi lights blink as if module is receiving info
    I might just pick up a cheap midi keyboard and use that to play sound rather than preview sound knob on Roland module and have another go
    I’ve just watched the Ron cavagnaro video with novation circuit and deluge and I think he’s got midi other way round to me , I have tried that way but the module midi doesn’t light up so I presume I’ve got it right - ?
    Roland jv1010 midi in going to midi out of deluge
    Also im wondering if the preview button isn’t the same as pushing a pad like he’s doing on the circuit - maybe the preview button isn’t actually sending any info just playing short demo on headphones ?
    I’ll keep having a go - and check back in tomorrow - thanks for assistance and advice

edited June 2023

Ok so I’ve had another go
    Deluge midi out
    Roland jv1010 midi in
    L/R input on jv1010 to portable speakers
    No mixer or audio interface involved no computer Daw
    And I can play and sequence using the deluge pads the sounds from Roland module on midi tracks 1-16 including midi 10 as drum track
    If I turn gold coloured output level knob on deluge, I occasionally get buzzy noise so turned that right down.
    I can’t get the cutoff res delay reverb options to work yet to alter sounds from the Roland module so I think I need to learn how to map the sounds to the deluge knobs
    At least I’m making slow progress , should have said I’m 60yrs old and new to all this 😝
    Ps I think first go I had l/r output from deluge plugged into speakers so that might have explained why didn’t work first time around

Post edited by Spelunking on