Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

NRPN implementation

Phoebus1966Phoebus1966 AntwerpPosts: 52

Novation Peak, DSI Prophet '08 and Prophet Rev2 have an option to use NRPN (non registered parameter number) instead of CC to transmit and recognize parameter changes over midi. The advantage, if I remember well, is a higher resolution and higher number of parameters that are midi controllable. Currently the Deluge only transmits and recognizes CC midi messages when it comes to parameter changes over time.

Post edited by Phoebus1966 on

Comments

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603

background for a partial temporary workaround:

you can find which CC's an NRPN parameter uses, usually it's 2 different CC's, one that transmits two values (even & odd) and the other that is a normal 0-127 value. with the two, you basically double your resolution, switching from 1-odd to 1-even, 2-odd, to to 2-even. this is at least how the novation peak and novation summit work.

unfortunately, this makes it so if you want to learn, say, the novation's filter knob to the deluge's filter (so you can use novation's interface to synth design on deluge's engine), the values will jitter between two values and be useless.

the temporary (low-resolution) workaround:

look up what two CC parameters are used for knobs that are high resolution (knobs that go from values 0-255). open your synth preset template (ie. novation summit template.XML) on your computer and find the for example the novation filter knob you tried to assign the deluge's filter, replace the CC there with the other CC that NRPN knob shares. now certain NRPN knobs can be used for synth templates on the deluge.

obviously doesn't cover all NRPN cases but was happy to know i could use my summit to make my deluge psuedo-knob per function.