Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Enable live looping/recording/overdub on a single track

On a pre-recorded (or fixed-length audio track), it would be great to be able to live-record new audio (without splitting it into new tracks):

• after hitting record on the audio track: start recording/overdubbing (without deleting old content) ; if the end of the track is reached restart from the beginning
  • after stop recording, the track continues to play/loop
  • if we hit undo the last recorded audio is dropped (only the last)
  • if we hit record we continue can add new "material" to it
  • and so on
    Like the option we find in all new loopers.

Comments

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 608

definitely

weasel_spatulasweasel_spatulas HelsinkiBeta Tester Posts: 9

Yes, my top request too!

duncandisorderlyduncandisorderly london/madridPosts: 19

I'd add to this, since we're proposing something that by implication stores two versions of the loop to support 'undo', that it would be nice to be able to control the level of the previous layer(s) & have them gradually decay as more layers are added. 'frippertronics', people usually say, but this goes way back to the 'time-lag accumulator' of terry riley, a system of long tape delays.
    I would, as a serious looper, also want a way to freeze the loop & simultaneously copy it to the next track down, arm that for overdubbing & mute the frozen one. this would give you the ability to set a way-point in your performance, & go back to it later.

when the cirklon was new, I pestered colin to add a midi version of this to the ck pattern mode, so that the velocity of notes would be reduced on each pass; I'm pretty sure he scales them back rather than just hacking the numbers down. anyway, the effect- if you use velocity in the traditional way- is similar to a tape delay decaying over several seconds.
    the first thing I did, of course, was direct the fading velocity values at a crossfade, so that as the notes died away, the timbre would change, or reverb would get louder.
    I think we need midi looping like this in the deluge, as well as audio.