Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Problem with line in

bouleboule Melbourne, AUPosts: 11
edited April 2023 in Deluge Help

Up until recently I'd only used the onboard synth and kits, but over the past couple weeks I've been trying to use the audio recording capabilities of the Deluge, and I've either got a problem understanding what's happening or my unit is defective. I'm hoping it's the first, and I would appreciate guidance.

I can record audio using the built-in mic. But when I plug my actual mic into the line in jack, I can only record silence. I've tried with four separate cords and two different mics, both with the gain switch set to HI and LO, and with headphones plugged into the headphone jack and without anything plugged into the headphone jack. I've checked the recorded clips on my desktop computer to verify that they're actually silent. I've tried with literally every setting for the input source (left, left monitored, etc) and the results are the same.

Edited to add: The most curious symptom is that looking at the recorded waveforms seems to give me images consistent with what I would expect if the audio had been recorded, at least in terms of showing me blobs where I was making noise and no blobs where I wasn't.

Is there some dumbass mistake I could still be making here, or is the problem likely with the Deluge hardware?

Post edited by boule on

Comments

synthriksynthrik Sweden Posts: 22

Hi, I don't think your Deluge is broken. ;)

You need to connect your microphone to the 3.5 mm microphone input jack which sits closer to the built-in microphone. The microphone signal is much lower than line level which is why you'll see blobs in your recording if microphone was connected to line in.

Another option, which is how I connect a microphone to the Deluge is to use a separate microphone amplifier, or small mixer, with line out and connect it's line out to line in on the Deluge. Then you can also use a phantom powered mic.

bouleboule Melbourne, AUPosts: 11

@synthrik said:
    You need to connect your microphone to the 3.5 mm microphone input jack which sits closer to the built-in microphone.

Sir, you are a kind genius and I am an unobservant fool. That worked. Thank you so much!

I hadn't even noticed the mic input and must have auto-mis-translated "mic jack" to "line in" in my head any time the documentation mentioned it.

synthriksynthrik Sweden Posts: 22

@boule said:
    That worked. Thank you so much!

You're welcome. I'm glad it did!