Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Mute arranger steps?

SynthStudioSynthStudio Fort Collins, ColoradoPosts: 31
edited February 2023 in Deluge Help

Hi team,

I have a few times when I want some notes at the tail-end of a synth or kit track to play right before a ‘drop’. This is pretty common in hip-hop.

Ideally, I want to place a clip in the arranger view, then mute the first, say 7 of 8 of its steps, letting the final 1/8 of that clip to play right before the start of the next clip.

I re-read the entire Arranger part of the 4.0 OLED manual and can’t find any way to do something like this.

(Also, recording clips ‘live’ into Arranger doesn’t safe mid-clip mute/unmute actions)

Any ideas?

Post edited by SynthStudio on
Tagged:

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Easiest way I think to do this is to sequence the full clip into the arrangement, then hold shift and press the clip to turn it white/unique. Then you can simply remove the other notes from within that clip and it won’t affect other copies of the clip.

Or you could duplicate/copy this clip and make a shorter version that’s only the last bit, which you can trigger and it should get recorded into the arranger properly.
    To trim everything but the end of the clip, move that end to the beginning (press vertical knob + turn horizontal) then use shift + horizontal knob to trim it down.

Thanks @Too_Mere … I’ve been experimenting with it. I just created a new drum clip with the sound I want, but I have a feeling I’m going to end up doing your first suggestion a lot more often (white-ing the clip in arranger). Since the white clips aren’t in song mode, it makes me a little nervous having clips ‘detached’ from a central instance, but I guess this is the way.

Still, though, I’d like to have a way to mute steps of a clip in Arranger view. That seems like the most intuitive, non-destructive solution for this need.

Thanks for your reply!

No prob! 👍🏼
    You can also hold a white clip and press song button to copy it to song view. And when you return to the arranger it will have a new color.

@Too_Mere said:
    No prob! 👍🏼
    You can also hold a white clip and press song button to copy it to song view. And when you return to the arranger it will have a new color.

I think I remember RSKT demonstrating this in one of his awesome videos. Thanks for the reminder! This really helps make the workflow a lot better. Appreciate that!

No problem! 👍🏼

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioBeta Tester Posts: 128

Yeah, I use the white clip method for little pre-verse drum fills, etc. often. Very useful!