Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Reload/ refresh KIT

LightyearLightyear GermanyPosts: 28
edited January 2023 in Deluge Help

Hi everyone,

is it possible to reload/ refresh a kit?
I'm hoping to find samples added within a later [SECTION[.

Further explanation:
I created a drum-kit and made variation A (/[SECTION]). Saved.

Then variation B (/*[SECTION]).
Within variation B I added a few more samples and saved the kit again.

...I just tend to add the samples on the flow.

Now, variation B of the same kit has more samples in it, then its variation A.
Simply adding the missing samples would create a suffix number.

Can somebody show me a way to refresh variation A (/[SECTION]) or do you have some advice for sample management, so I won't re-encounter this user-issue? :)

Kind regards and have a good one!

Lightyear

EDIT:
Edited explanation.

Post edited by Lightyear on

Best Answer

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USAPosts: 993
    Answer ✓

If you have a kit that shares two clips (A + B) and let’s say you add a new sample row to the kit within clip B. If you want to sequence that sample in clip A, simply sequence notes on the next blank row on top and it will automatically add the sample row to clip A.

Answers

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

off the top of my head, two options:
    1. Copy Variation B (the whole clip - hold clip row in song mode and hit another empty row). Then copy the notes/sequence from A and paste into newly created row (w/ kit from B)
    2. Save the kit used in Variation B, then load it onto Variation A

If you're making kits on the fly and don't want to save them, then option 1 is probably preferable. Let me know if you have any questions - I didn't test on a Deluge but something like that should work :)

AlterAlter TokyoPosts: 100

The "clone" loading option (select a kit and long press the load button) allows you to refresh the kit even if the names of the kits are the same. Save the kit in variation B and load it with clone option in varioation A.

Hi @Affectionate_Bee_781,

thank you for your reply.

@Affectionate_Bee_781 said:
    off the top of my head, two options:
    1. Copy Variation B (the whole clip - hold clip row in song mode and hit another empty row). Then copy the notes/sequence from A and paste into newly created row (w/ kit from B )

Do you know a short-cut / combo to do so (copying the steps out of a sequence)?
    Inserting every single sample and step by hand is viable. But doing so when using 3 to 4 (or even more) variations is becoming quite time-consuming.

1. Save the kit used in Variation B, then load it onto Variation A

Sadly, this is not possible (or I'm unable to), because a kit that's already in use won't be shown within the "Load-Kit" menu.
    That is exactly the issue I'm facing. :smile:

Or am I misunderstanding?

If you're making kits on the fly and don't want to save them, then option 1 is probably preferable. Let me know if you have any questions - I didn't test on a Deluge but something like that should work :)

Kind regards!

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

For Option 1:
    Copy: Learn + press <> knob
    Paste: Shift + learn + press <> knob

^ will work for all notes in the current time grid. Lots of uses, including double/half-timing a part.

For Option 2:
    Yes, you're mostly right - you can "clone" a kit by pressing load + kit, then finding the in-use kit and holding select.. but this will kinda create the same problem as the kits will be separate in their parameters. Also, will create lots of saved kits that may not be desired

I think copy and paste will work for you :smiley: try checking out the manual for that, as well as 'clone'

Hi @Alter,

thanks for your response.

@Alter said:
    The "clone" loading option (select a kit and long press the load button) allows you to refresh the kit even if the names of the kits are the same. Save the kit in variation B and load it with clone option in varioation A.

I'm not quite sure, if I understand.

So, I created a kit: zzzzz (pretty creative, huh? :D )
    It contains two KICKS and SNARES.

• I create two variations - A & B
    • Now, within variation B, I added a CLAP to the kit and saved it once again
    • variation A does not contain the CLAP, though it is the same kit.
    • If I add the same CLAP here, it is being added as "CLAP2". Something is recognizing the added sample.

Now I reproduced the situation, I'm facing.
    My current solution is to recreate the variations, which leads me to not work pretty versatile with my patterns, because recreation due to an added sample means a bunch of work.

Now, onwards.
    - A kit that is being in use, will not be shown in the "Load-Kit"-Menu, so I've got to change the kit on both variations. Let's say "808" and "DDD-1".
    - Now, instead of loading the kit "zzzzz" right away, I'll clone it - "zzzzz 2".
    - Now variation A uses the first kit and variation B the second one.
    - Regarding my (probably terrible) workflow, In an extreme szenario, the solution would be "number of variations = number of kits" (...Oh boy!)
    Usually I do have a kit for kicks and snares, one for percussion and one for cymbals.

Instead of recreating the variations, I'll be recreating the kits. :D
    Sounds not too bad. But it feels like I'm shifting the addressed issue to another level.
    But one would benefit from it, because steps and their info (nudging, velocity, etcetera) do not have to be recreated from scratch.

If there's nothing I can do about it, I'd consider this my way to go.
    Then I would just create a big drum-kit, containing everything and clone this one.
    Or maybe it was meant to be used this way all along.

Anyway. Thanks for your help, so far.

Kind regards and have a good one! :)

edited January 2023

thanks again.

For Option 1:

^ will work for all notes in the current time grid. Lots of uses, including double/half-timing a part.

For Option 2:
    Yes, you're mostly right - you can "clone" a kit by pressing load + kit, then finding the in-use kit and holding select.. but this will kinda create the same problem as the kits will be separate in their parameters. Also, will create lots of saved kits that may not be desired

I think copy and paste will work for you :smiley: try checking out the manual for that, as well as 'clone'

I still have to memorize all the functions. :)

So, if I get it right, you're solution would be as follows.
    Kit "zzzzz"

• Variation A (2 KD + 2 SD)
    • Variation B (2 KD + 2 SD + HC) (Saved the Kit)

Now,

• Create Variation C (descending from B )
    • Copy Sequence from A and paste it to C

Right?

I'll have to look into that.
    In regards of your second option, I addressed that within my reply to Alter.

EDIT:
    B ) without space in between will be B) ... yeah...

edited January 2023

For Option 1:

>
    >

I just tested it and it worked out pretty well.
    There were two conditions I figured out.

Newer variation --> older variation = added samples are not being added.
    So it works only the other way around: older --> newer
    But I'm fine with that.

^ will work for all notes in the current time grid.

**Literally about the view. **
    This might be useful info for others as well:
    So the sorting of the samples (regarding the rows) within the to be destined variations should not differ from the source variation.

In other words:
    Source variation - Lowest row [KONGA], second lowest [TOM]
    To be destined variation - same here, same view (about the rows) as in source

That's a pretty neat work around!
    This'll probably save some time. :)

edited January 2023

You can overwrite the "zzzzz" kit in variation B. Just to confirm, is 'variation' a song or a clip in the same song? I thought it was a song...

Post edited by Alter on

Hi @Alter,

@Alter said:
    You can overwrite the "zzzzz" kit in variation B. Just to confirm, is 'variation' a song or a clip in the same song? I thought it was a song...

I saved it within variation B.
    Sorry, I'm not getting towards what you're pointing.

When using the word "variation", I'm talking about a clip in the same song.
    Sorry, wrong choice of words at my end. :)

Kind Regards,

Lightyear

When making a variation, duplicate the clip and its kit will be shared. (in song mode, press a source clip row pad + empty row pad)

Hi @Too_Mere,

thanks for your answer.

@Too_Mere said:
    If you have a kit that shares two clips (A + B) and let’s say you add a new sample row to the kit within clip B. If you want to sequence that sample in clip A, simply sequence notes on the next blank row on top and it will automatically add the sample row to clip A.

Now, THAT was way too easy! That solved my problem.

I feel kind of ashamed. :smile:

It also explains, why the same added sample then was created with a suffix number. To me that always left the impression, that the added sample (within clip B ) somehow has been recognized in clip A.

Thanks a lot, again!

Hi Alter,

@Alter said:
    When making a variation, duplicate the clip and its kit will be shared. (in song mode, press a source clip row pad + empty row pad)

I do get that basic operation.
    I'm absolutely terrible at expressing my incident.
    Btw. TOO_Mere gave me the answer to my issue.

It wasn't about missing clips.
    Now again, using the right wording:
    It is about missing samples within previous clips, that have been added to newer clips.

Your solution about cloning the KIT is one way to work around the issue of my "missing" samples.
    But to me it means: Instead of recreating the older clip A ( from B, since it includes the added sample), I'll just be recreating KITs

Usually, I'm using a KIT for kicks/snares/similar, one for cymbals and another one for other percussion sounds (Advice to clip use is welcome).
    To me, your attempt would mean, I might have 6-8 or more KITs for each one of these KITs just for one song.

Kind regards.

edited January 2023

My answer also meant the same as Too_Mere. :)

On a side note, if you are using non-OLED deluge and want to share the same kit for clipA and clipB, you can mute one clip and the other will select the same kit.

https://youtu.be/aNBUDid9FiU?t=838
    14:00~

Post edited by Alter on
    Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

@Lightyear said:
    Hi @Too_Mere,

thanks for your answer.

@Too_Mere said:

It also explains, why the same added sample then was created with a suffix number. To me that always left the impression, that the added sample (within clip B ) somehow has been recognized in clip A.

Thanks a lot, again!

Happy to help!
    Also to avoid the suffixes and multiple saves, I would hit save, and then turn select counter clockwise one click before hitting save again to just overwrite the previous save if that’s your intention.

Hi Alter,

@Alter said:
    My answer also meant the same as Too_Mere. :)

Yeah. Now, reading it a second time (and knowing, what you meant), it's making a lot more sense to me.

On a side note, if you are using non-OLED deluge and want to share the same kit for clipA and clipB, you can mute one clip and the other will select the same kit.

https://youtu.be/aNBUDid9FiU?t=838
    14:00~

I've got mine since November last year. So, I'm still a greenhorn.
    Mostly, I stuck to the manual (And a video on Audio monitoring). But may be I should start all over. :D

I just tried it.
    It did exactly as RSKT in the video, using the basic patch 000.
    But that is something we might continue on private chat, since the original issue about the KIT clips has been solved.

Kind regards.

@Too_Mere said:

@Lightyear said:
    Hi @Too_Mere,

thanks for your answer.

@Too_Mere said:

Thanks a lot, again!

Happy to help!
    Also to avoid the suffixes and multiple saves, I would hit save, and then turn select counter clockwise one click before hitting save again to just overwrite the previous save if that’s your intention.

It is not.

The issue only was:
    I was missing the added samples in previous designed clips of the same kit and didn't know, they would show up by hitting a button within their to be destined row.

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Gotcha 👍🏼