Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

CV output a little flat

Hey :)

So far, I only used Deluges internal stuff and some external audio. But tonight I was trying to experiment with its CV outs into my modular and discovered that sequences from the CV out sounded a little flat.
I compared it with other quantized CV outputs from other devices (Arturia Minibrutr, Keystep, Malekko Varigate 4+, MI Marbles) into the same and obviously very well calibrated Oscillator.
I then measured the CV outs from all my devices as well as the Deluges with my multimeter (although not being a high precision tool) and it is indeed on both channels off by -0,04 volts over 5 octaves = volts compared to all my other mentioned gear.

Anyone else having this issue? Is there any way to recalibrate the CV-Outs from the deluge?

Cheers

Tagged:

Comments

hermansmasherhermansmasher AustriaPosts: 26

Really? Nothing? :/
    Does that mean everyone elses cv out is fine?

For future reference and others maybe having the same issue:
    I needed to open my unit and adjust the trim pots for the CV Outs on the inside. It's fairly easy and completely resolved my problem. Thanks to Ian :)

spetsnazzyspetsnazzy United StatesPosts: 1

@hermansmasher said:
    I needed to open my unit and adjust the trim pots for the CV Outs on the inside. It's fairly easy and completely resolved my problem. Thanks to Ian :)

Hello hermansmasher,

I'm having this same issue myself. My root note is in tune, but as I send sequences of cv up a scale, it goes out of tune.

I have no experience with fixing electronics and I'm a little nervous to break open my Deluge and risk breaking it. Could you explain how you got into the unit and adjusted the trim pots? I'd be very grateful to know

tombluetomblue Posts: 21

@hermansmasher said:

I also have this issue and would also like to know any additional info if you can provide it :)

Excuses to both of you, I didn't see your comments until now.

In this video it is demonstrated how to open your deluge safely:
    After that you need to take a small skrew driver and adjust the trim pots on the back (they are labeled very clearly). To adjust them, you can for example send your CV-out to a reliable V/Oct Input on a synth (remember that these also need to be calibrated from time to time). If you then play a slow sequence of notes (e.g. C1 , C2, C3, C4, C5) you can then track the out coming pitch from the synth via a tuner. Use the trim pot to align the pitches as close as possible and you're done.

@hermansmasher said:
    Excuses to both of you, I didn't see your comments until now.

In this video it is demonstrated how to open your deluge safely:
    After that you need to take a small skrew driver and adjust the trim pots on the back (they are labeled very clearly). To adjust them, you can for example send your CV-out to a reliable V/Oct Input on a synth (remember that these also need to be calibrated from time to time). If you then play a slow sequence of notes (e.g. C1 , C2, C3, C4, C5) you can then track the out coming pitch from the synth via a tuner. Use the trim pot to align the pitches as close as possible and you're done.

Thanks very much for the advice, that's great to know!
    I'm also having an issue with Deluge's pitch tracking, where 1.00v per octave and 1.01v per octave are too flat or too sharp respectively, and go out of tune beyond 2 octaves. Do you know if recalibrating the CV out to be in tune will also address the pitch tracking issue?

@tomblue yeah, this is exactly the function of those trim pots.
    You could follow along one of the youtube videos out there (e.g. ) with the only difference being that you are actually changing the scale of the sent CV (and not the response of the synth). So if you don't want to tune the CV-output of the deluge by measuring the voltages, you need to use a well calibrated and reliable synth-voice of which you know tracks 1V/Oct exactly -> then you can use your ears and a tuner to listen over multiple octaves while gently turning the trim pots.
    (also make sure that it is set to track 1,00V/Oct in the menu of course :D )
    Hope that helped

@hermansmasher said:
    @tomblue yeah, this is exactly the function of those trim pots.
    You could follow along one of the youtube videos out there (e.g. ) with the only difference being that you are actually changing the scale of the sent CV (and not the response of the synth). So if you don't want to tune the CV-output of the deluge by measuring the voltages, you need to use a well calibrated and reliable synth-voice of which you know tracks 1V/Oct exactly -> then you can use your ears and a tuner to listen over multiple octaves while gently turning the trim pots.
    (also make sure that it is set to track 1,00V/Oct in the menu of course :D )
    Hope that helped

Awesome, thanks very much, I will try to calibrate it myself :)