Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Firmware update to 4.0.1 seems to fail

undermanagerundermanager Posts: 7
edited November 2022 in Deluge Help

hello,

I'm trying to update to 4.1 (from 3.1.4) on a pre-OLED Deluge. I follow the instructions. Check for other .bin files on the SD card. Hold down shift. Power on. It says 'update'. The animation spins. It says 'done'. I check the firmware version. It's still 3.1.4. Does anyone have any suggestions?

CORRECTION: I should have said 4.0.1. That's what's failing. Not 4.1

Post edited by undermanager on

Answers

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

4.0.1 is the most current firmware for the old screen. 4.1 is currently only for the new OLED screen

Sorry. I meant 4.0.1. It's 4.0.1 that's failing.

Oh interesting. Have you tried re-downloading and replacing the file on the SD card?

I have. A couple of times.

And have you checked for any hidden files remaining on the card at root level?

edited November 2022

I have now. I didn't know that was a thing. I don't know if any of this might be the problem...

https://flic.kr/p/2nX1bSS

Yeah I think those hidden trash bin files may be causing this. Typically, emptying the trash while the SD card is in the computer gets rid of those I think.

That's the view after emptying the trash with the SD card in the computer. There is nothing in the Bin folder and it is undeletable. As far as I can see there is no bin file in any folder, hidden or otherwise.

Here's how it looks with folders 'open' https://flic.kr/p/2nXepE7

So I'm not sure that's the answer, I'm afraid.

In that photo it looks like the 4.0.1 bin is nested under the trash. It needs to be at the root level of the SD card to work

edited November 2022

Ah. Right. This is how it looks with the hidden files hidden again.

https://flic.kr/p/2nXe2hW

That looks like the root position to me. Is that right?

I can't alter its position relative to hidden files, or theirs relative to it. I can't do anything with hidden files, basically.

So, I guess, if those hidden files are at root level, there's nothing I can do, the Deluge puts them there?

Wolf_TWolf_T SpainPosts: 39

This should work regardless of the hidden files created by mac os. I just tried it. This is what the file structure of my sd card looks like. I could also just move the hidden files to the recycle bin. I would format the sd card one more time (fat32) and copy the files to the sd card one one more time.

Yeah, in my hidden trash file I have no bin. I still think that's the problem. Like you said, I would try formatting and replace your main folders and the bin file at the root level.
    There should not be a FIRMWARES folder. Remove that as well.

Hmmm. This is dispiriting.

I've tried formatting the SD card. A few times. That's not worked.

I've tried re-downloading the firmware and combining it with the download "Deluge factory SD card contents for firmware V2.1 / V3.x / V4.x (322MB)" and putting it on a freshly formatted card. That's not worked.

I also tried installing 3.1.5 just in case. That didn't work.

Sorry to keep asking but does anyone have any other thoughts?

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

@undermanager said:

I've tried formatting the SD card. A few times. That's not worked.

I've tried re-downloading the firmware and combining it with the download "Deluge factory SD card contents for firmware V2.1 / V3.x / V4.x (322MB)" and putting it on a freshly formatted card. That's not worked.

Sorry to keep asking but does anyone have any other thoughts?

Are you sure the sd card isn't bad ? If you can't even format the card w/ pc or mac either the card or the pc/mac must be at fault.