Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Gold Knobs wobbly

I bought Deluge second-hand and it turns out the two golden knobs are slightly wobbly, and there is some sound, as if foil was being unwrapped (I am sure everyone would describe it differently). They appear to operate normally and precisely but I wonder how heavily abused the device must have been / how much lifetime they have left and if knob replacement (as replacement ones are available from the shop) would address that at all - the whole 'bed' might be harmed.
The black knobs show just a bit of that, apparent by comparing the up and down ones with tempo, which is least used.

Does normal use cause such degradation in Deluge devices?
Have many of you had such issues? What is the repair procedure for that?

Tagged:

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017
    edited November 2022

@TOTAL said:
    I bought Deluge second-hand and it turns out the two golden knobs are slightly wobbly, and there is some sound, as if foil was being unwrapped (I am sure everyone would describe it differently). They appear to operate normally and precisely but I wonder how heavily abused the device must have been / how much lifetime they have left and if knob replacement (as replacement ones are available from the shop) would address that at all - the whole 'bed' might be harmed.
    The black knobs show just a bit of that, apparent by comparing the up and down ones with tempo, which is least used.

Does normal use cause such degradation in Deluge devices?
    Have many of you had such issues? What is the repair procedure for that?

This is normal actually. Its because of the nature of the gold knob encoders, being both twistable and pressable, and notchless unlike the black knobs.

However, when they start dropping out values, get jittery and slow, then the encoders are worn out or damaged and need to be replaced.

Its a fairly simple process to replace the encoders, just some soldering, and they only cost a few bucks.
    (The encoders are cheaper than the knobs themselves, around $2 I think)

Post edited by Icoustik on

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

I've been having issues with a well-worn Deluge, where the gold knobs don't track consistently. Sometimes they don't really move the value, even when I am moving the knob quickly.

I also have a PSU issue with my Deluge .. so I suppose I am saving up for the OLED upgrade + some maintenance. Hope all works out with your new machine ! :)

TOTALTOTAL Posts: 111
    edited November 2022

@Icoustik
    Great to hear this is a simple DYI procedure. The knobs do appear to be working reliably.
    By the way, after writing this post I looked some more online to find out gold knobs are slighly more wobbly than other knobs as per FAQ page, so it might well be that they are still in perfect or near-perfect condition. Thanks for the info.

@Affectionate_Bee_781
    Good luck with your device. Looks like you don't have to wait, unless you'd rather have it done by the pros.

Post edited by TOTAL on