Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Are Square and Saw much louder than Sine and Triangle?

synonymsynonym New YawkPosts: 2
edited October 2022 in General Discussion

On an initialized clip, in subtractive synth mode, I'm finding that the volume of the sine and triangle waveforms are much much quieter than square and saw (analog or not). I was making a bass line, so I entered some notes on the sequencer. I had started with a sine wave for whatever reason and was playing around with modulation and filtering. Then I switched Osc1 to square and nearly jumped out of my pants it was suddenly so much louder. To confirm, I zeroed out all the settings and then just started more newly initialized clips. I don't mean that square and saw are just "noticeably" louder; they are very obviously much much louder than sine and triangle. Is that a thing?

I'm still on ver.3 firmware, because I'm so very very lazy.

Post edited by synonym on
Tagged:

Comments

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 609

just recorded deluge's output and square is the loudest, but not by a lot. sine, triangle, and saw are pretty close to each other in volume. the extreme difference may be related to your speakers, or just the nature of square/saw having way more harmonics in the higher frequency ranges.

synonymsynonym New YawkPosts: 2
    edited October 2022

Thanks! I was using Apple wired earbuds, at low and mid-range registers (bass line, then moved up a couple of octaves). I'll try outputting to some other things.

Post edited by synonym on