Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge randomly gets "stuck"

dangerousdangerous MelbournePosts: 3

I have an issue where my Deluge will randomly stop. It's not stopped in the same way as if I press "stop", but rather it's just stuck as if time has stopped. The "Play" button is still lit, and the vertical white line tracking time across the screen / buttons is still visible. If I press "stop" then the white line would disappear and the play button would not be lit. Indeed I can press stop and start it playing again (so 2 button pushes and we're good).

If I disconnect the Midi In, I don't seem to get this issue. The Deluge is wired so that its Midi Out goes into my Novation Summit, and the Midi Out of my Novation Summit goes to the Deluge. I also have stuff daisy chained from the Midi Thru of the Summit, but I believe in theory this should be irrelevant. That said I don't know what strange bugs there are in Midi, so for the sake of completeness the Midi Thru from my Summit goes to my Matriarch Midi In, and the Midi Thru of the Matriarch goes to a Nord Stage 2. Neither the Matriarch nor the Nord Stage 2 have anything connected to the Midi Out. So in theory, any Midi signal coming into the Deluge must be from the Summit.

A way I reproduce the issue is to have the Deluge playing a simple 1 bar sequence in a loop over Midi to the Summit. If I just leave that playing on its own, not playing any of the instruments at all, eventually it will get stuck. I have tried monitoring the midi from the Summit by plugging it into a Midi Interface to my computer, and it doesn't display any signals at all unless I e.g. press a key to see that the monitoring is working. As far as I know, Summit does not send Midi clock. However, to eliminate one more thing I have set TCLO -> IN -> AUTO to OFF (even though as mentioned before this does not seem like the same behaviour as I would expect from a "stop" signal).

The midi cable is short, i.e. ~1m long, but just to be sure I tried it with another midi cable and got the same result.

Tagged:

Comments

I should also note that it's not necessarily immediate, it could go within a minute or so of starting, or it could be still going fine twenty minutes later.

edited September 2022

Oh, and it's running off a power supply, not battery.

Post edited by dangerous on