Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

[Bug] External MIDI sequencers are off-time when arrangement is played from current view

rogerroger Baltimore, MDPosts: 8
edited August 2022 in Deluge Help
  1. Get out an external instrument with a sequencer, like a groovebox. (I'm using Model:Cycles.) Create a pattern on it. Connect to Deluge and make the appropriate settings for it to be slaved to Deluge's MIDI clock.
  2. Create a synth clip. Put something not too busy in the synth clip (like some 8th notes) otherwise it'll be confusing
  3. In the arrangement create a long instance of the synth clip, long enough to span pages.
  4. Press play. Everything's fine. Press stop on the Deluge and stop on the external instrument to reset its sequencer.
  5. Scroll to somewhere in the middle of the arrangement and play from there (hold scroll left/right and press play). The external instrument sounds a bit early, and the Deluge sounds late. Sounds like ~50 ms.

In my arrangement, I happen to also have some MIDI clips. Don't know if that could affect things. I'll try removing them to see if that makes a difference. (Update: it didn't)

Wild guess but maybe a bug in the latency compensation logic?

Post edited by roger on
Tagged:

Comments

edited August 2022

Just wanted to bump this as I think it's a serious bug... I was able to work around it by opening clips from the arranger and playing in that screen, which doesn't manifest the bug. Not ideal, but okay for now.

Post edited by roger on
    OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

There is a general sync problem.

We synced two Deluges and you don't get an exact sync. they are the most times out of sync. There are some speeds like 127 BPM , where the other Deluge have the same sped, but if you use e.g. 126 BPM the other Deluge has 126.08 .
    This creates very annoying comb filter effects. Other users reported the same problem.
    We are using the latest firmware.

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

Tried it with other gear. Deluge Midi sync is broken.

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

AbortRetryFailAbortRetryFail FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 61

I just gave this a shot on mine running v4.0.1. Deluge is MIDI clock master with a built in synth patch on 1/4 notes on the left channel and Arturia Drumbrute playing metronome on the right.

Starting from the beginning of the song with the Play button, it seems to line up fine. Starting partway through in the Arranger, the Deluge is definitely playing late.

Started with Play:

Started with <> + Play:

AbortRetryFailAbortRetryFail FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 61

Even more interesting, is if I reset the Drumbrute's sequencer (hit the Stop button) before I start the Deluge mid-Arranger with <>+Play, the first note the Deluge's internal synth plays is on time, but all the subsequent ones are lagged:

edited September 2022

Thanks for confirming the issue @OdoSendaidokai and for the comparisons @AbortRetryFail

I was thinking of doing some kind of comparison but I've been dealing with a lot so I didn't get around to it. It's great to know that the issue isn't just me.

Post edited by roger on