Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Can I map an external controller to play the audition keys in scale mode across multiple octaves?

pogodancepogodance United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 57

I hugely enjoy scale mode, it's very fertile, but it's limited to one octave (and weirdly the keyboard mode can only do isomorphic, rather than scale modes like launchpad, push etc!).

Can I map an external controller to play the audition keys in scale mode, but across multiple octaves? Either white keys on a keyboard, or say a launchpad mini? Or the button presses on a controller like midifighter?

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

There are multiple octaves of notes available in clip view with scale mode on. You just need to scroll with the horizontal knob to reach them. But yes, only one octave will be visible at a time.

You can’t specify which notes get mapped to an external controller as you described. But there are Launchpads that do indeed have scale modes like that. You could just pick the scale on the Launchpad and map it to the synth to get that effect you’re after.

edited July 2022

Yes but I'd have to perfectly and manually match the scale on the launchpad to the scale on the deluge to be able to work fluidly with a scale mode matrix, where you can see an octave rather than eight semitones in chromatic. I guess I could play one octave into the matrix then get the deluge to extract the scale from that, which would be smooth in some working cases, but it's not as elegant. The ideal would be if keyboard mode on Deluge did scale mode like MPC / Force / Launchpad / Push where only the notes in the scale are visible on the matrix, isomorphic with scales lit up is much less useful for button mashing playing, you need to be rather an isomorphic virtuoso!

Post edited by pogodance on

The Deluge will match the scale automatically. Even without turning off scale mode, just recording notes from the Launchpad will make the Deluge change its scale mode to fit the notes you’ve recorded. You will still likely have to hold scale button and press the root note, but that should be all you need to do.

I know feature requests are uncool but I would really love it if keyboard mode did scales like Launchpad Push MPC mc101 etc, with only the notes from the scale appearing. Be great if keyboard mode worked with kits too, to play drums live with more than eight pads.

I only mention because it feels much easier than lots of other feature requests!

OszilloOszillo -Posts: 26
    edited July 2022

@pogodance said:
    I know feature requests are uncool.

I disagree, kinda. feature requests are what drives the thing forward, without those requests i would immediately sell of the device. Why? Because to me the deluge suffers heavy inconsistency in handling since the introduction of Audio "loop" tracks which are not loops but fixed snippets. A fixed loop i could in theory phase shift just like i can do with any other type of track. Thats why my feature list would be actually more like a fixing-list and thats why i wrote i would sell it off in case it can not be fixed in future.
    So a feature request is in fact either a trouble shooter or fix of a common problem or a real extra which makes only sense to code if a lot users agree it would be worth waiting for it.

Post edited by Oszillo on

Synthstrom has made it clear that they currently have a very large list of feature requests that they are currently working on, in addition to actual bug fixes that prevent errors, freezing, or unintended behavior.
    They have enough to keep them busy for a while. And many requests are repeats at this point. I’d be very surprised if this keyboard request hasn’t already been made.

I imagine they’ll open up requests down the line, after they catch up with the huge list they already have.
    But now isn’t a good time for requests. And this help forum is not the place.