Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Not powering via DC adapter

bouleboule Melbourne, AUPosts: 11

Using USB power, my unit works (and charges) fine, but it seems to not be getting power when I use a DC adapter.

I've tried two 12v adapters, center negative, over 500mA. I'll try to track down more adapters to try, but is this a known issue or is there some hidden debugging mode that might be useful?

Comments

DaEmbassyDaEmbassy SydneyPosts: 54

Just as an FYI, I use AC adapters that kick out 9 Volts rather than 12, and at least 500 mA

Are you saying that when you plug in your AC Adapter, the LED doesn't light on the Deluge?

@DaEmbassy said:
    Are you saying that when you plug in your AC Adapter, the LED doesn't light on the Deluge?

Yep!

Got it, @boule

This is not expected behaviour. When you plug 9V DC into the power input on the Deluge, the LED lights green. Every time on my Deluge.

So the adapter has a problem, or the Deluge has a problem. If I worked for Synthstrom, I would be telling you to get hold of a 9V DC centre-negative adapter that you've tested on another device, and then check it on the Deluge.

Good Luck!

edited May 2022

I have now tried with a 9v, center negative, 500mA adapter with the same result. (This is also an adapter which I verified to be working with another appliance.) It certainly looks to me as if there is something wrong with the DC charging of the machine.

Post edited by boule on
    HackspannerHackspanner San Francisco Posts: 1

This has suddenly happened to me as well. My Deluge has charged multiple times with the 9v adapter I’ve been using. But I recently tried the USB port for the first time. Now it will only charge from USB.

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

My unit has an issue where all the 9v-12v adapters I own (all >500mA) don't actually charge the Deluge. The light will turn yellow and if I don't use the Deluge they will charge it really slowly, but if I turn the Deluge on then the adapters seemingly don't provide enough power and the Deluge will eventually die.

This is with 3 different adapters - I haven't taken the time to order and try a new one.

The only reason I actually care about this is because I want to use it as a USB host, and it apparently won't do that without power through the DC plug. I guess I have to send it back? Is there anything else we can try in advance of that?

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioBeta Tester Posts: 128

I'm no expert, but it often seems like issues related to charging/power are due to the battery inside having been jostled loose. If the battery isn't connecting properly the unit won't charge. Aside from emailing Synthstrom (who have been great at support in my experience), I would suggest opening up the sides of the unit to see if the battery is seated properly.

I did (at Synthstrom's suggestion) pull out and reseat the battery, but nothing changed afterwards.

BertoBerto GermanyPosts: 18

@boule said:
    I did (at Synthstrom's suggestion) pull out and reseat the battery, but nothing changed afterwards.

Make sure u use a center negative adapter…….

Hey @boule have you cracked the mystery yet?

I've thought about your issue, and if you have tried a number of adaptors, the problem is most likely the battery inside the Deluge.
    If you have a new unit, the battery should be fine - but over time the battery will degrade. I believe the battery is an 18650, so perhaps replacing that battery may eliminate your problem.

Cheers,

MBC

Hey @DaEmbassy thanks for the note! The unit/battery did charge via USB, and could be operated without external power for a while after that -- so the battery itself was probably ok, I think.

Just a few days ago, I sent the instrument back for repair/replacement. But before that, they asked me to try reseating the battery. Unfortunately I did that, and nothing changed.

JLPJLP TennesseePosts: 2

I'm having the same issue as @boule. I want to use the Deluge in MIDI host mode. I've tried 3 different center-negative 9V adapters from 500mA to 2A and none of them cause the power LED to come on. The Deluge charges and works fine via USB power.

marcmargheritamarcmargherita Amsterdam, NetherlandsPosts: 3

I have the same problem. It used to work fine but now it doesn't.... I am not sure but I think it stopped working after installing the V4.0.0 firmware update.

JLPJLP TennesseePosts: 2

Just an update here for my situation: I contacted Synthstrom and explained the situation and they sent me a replacement unit which works as expected with a 9V adapter. Just a faulty jack or something I guess.

LetrasetLetraset UKPosts: 15

I’m having the same problem, is everyone just putting up with this? My Oled model was dead on arrival and came back from repair with a jumpy main encoder. Now this after a few hours use.. Am I really going to have to send it away for repair again?

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

I am just putting up with it, although I'm thinking I should contact Synthstom sooner (than later) .. they probably have quite a backlog of work with all the OLED upgrades

joelgreenmachinejoelgreenmachine Canada / SwedenPosts: 4

Just chiming in here to say that after trying a bunch of adaptors and ordering a USB to 9V adaptor that was recommended by Synthstrom, I have the same issue. Green light flickers a bit when plugging in, but won't get power and therefore won't take a MIDI host. Charges via USB no problem.

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 608

@joelgreenmachine said:
    Just chiming in here to say that after trying a bunch of adaptors and ordering a USB to 9V adaptor that was recommended by Synthstrom, I have the same issue. Green light flickers a bit when plugging in, but won't get power and therefore won't take a MIDI host. Charges via USB no problem.

this sounds like a usb power problem, you might need to plug the usb into a source that can send more power to the deluge to get midi host things to work

joelgreenmachinejoelgreenmachine Canada / SwedenPosts: 4

@reza said:
    this sounds like a usb power problem, you might need to plug the usb into a source that can send more power to the deluge to get midi host things to work

I've tried many different power sources which power the unit with no problems through the USB port. I've also opened the Deluge to be sure the battery is seated properly. So at this point the issue is either with this convertor cable I just bought or with the Deluge DC jack. I guess I'll order a direct power supply to be sure.

AlterAlter TokyoPosts: 100

I'm the same. Today, my OLED Deluge DC jack/LED suddenly stopped working. Currently it works only with USB power.

Curiously, even when the DC jack was working, the USB host mode was not active. (Device mode was working when the DC jack was unplugged.)

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 608

@joelgreenmachine and @Alter i would fill out this form if you think there is a hardware issue with your device!
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1O8mefZ_5PgFCdSl9BBahae7Pu-nicp4MluDdo-JuPls/viewform

echo_operaecho_opera USA Posts: 9

Just curious if we ever found out why this DC Powering issue doesn’t appear to be working. I have a new OLED Model, and have tried 2 different 9Volt Power Supplies, and neither appear to be doing anything for the Deluge…no LED Light indication, and it doesn’t power in USB Host mode.

I’ve sent Synthstrom an email about the issue, but would love to know what has happened in the last few months regarding this issue for users posting about it.

Many thanks,
    -echo opera

AlterAlter TokyoPosts: 100
    edited March 2023

I contacted Synthstrom about this DC power issue and they said my OLED deluge needs to be repaired. The repair process took approximately two weeks (plus two weeks for shipping round-trip).

Since the repair report was not attached, I don't know the details of the repair or the cause of the malfunction.

Post edited by Alter on
    echo_operaecho_opera USA Posts: 9

Thanks. I contacted Support as well and Ian mentioned something about an “anomaly” and would get back to me. I’ll let you all know what transpires.

xstatquoxstatquo California, USAPosts: 8

Same issue here. Never noticed it until I tried plugging in a USB keyboard. I couldn’t get it to connect, and saw via a YouTube vid that the power light should be green when using external power. But no green light for me. I’ve always charged via USB… Support here I come…

SetappinSetappin UkPosts: 1

I also have the same problem. Does not charge at all via DC (I have tried 4 or more power adapters (correct centre negative, 9 and 12v and over 500mAh)). However it does charge via USB no probs. I have also checked if the battery is seated correctly (it was). I have reached out to Synthstrom support and I'm awaiting a reply. Judging by this thread this seems to be a recurring issue!