Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Actuation Midi foot switch with Deluge Firmware 4.0

BaddaddyBaddaddy South ElginBeta Tester Posts: 19

Colleagues. Kindof scratching my head on this one.

Trying to assign Play in the Midi controls to a switch on my Actition foot switch.

Sequence:
1. Enter Settings
2. select Midi
3. Select CMD
4. Play is displayed in the display
5. Hold Learn down
6. hit foot switch
7. Deluge flashes "learn" on the display
8. exit out of settings
9. attempt to hit the footswitch to start playback.
10. nothing happens.

Am I missing something here, friends?

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Just tried on my end. I also cannot get the play command to work. Other commands seem to work fine but not play. Seems like a bug.
    @rohan can you confirm?

ZwogliZwogli Germany, LeipzigPosts: 2

I have exactly the same issue. I was following the steps in the manual, but it never shows "set" when I press a switch + holding learn. Therefore the Deluge is not listening at all to the footswitch. Would be glad to have some help.

@Zwogli First thing, if you’re using midi over USB you need to have the Deluge plugged into mains power.
    Additionally, the signal you need to send for midi commands must be midi notes. CC or other signals will not work for triggering those commands.

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Oh, weird... I haven't got an Actition footswitch here with me today, though will again soon - but I just tried this with a USB-hosted MIDI keyboard and it worked fine. Is it only with the Actition footswitch that it's not working for you two?

@rohan
    I actually only tested this using my Launchpad X. Trying again, I just found that every several LP presses the play button will illuminate green for just a split second. But won’t actually get it playing.

sven_blobsven_blob France Beta Tester Posts: 154

I use an Actition and don't have any probs

sven_blobsven_blob France Beta Tester Posts: 154

but I have to check, I haven't used the footswitch since the last update..

ZwogliZwogli Germany, LeipzigPosts: 2
    edited May 2022

Hello, like @Too_Mere said, it's important to recieve midi notes. The initial config of the USB-footswitch (bought it directly from actition) just sends PC and CC messages. If you did the same, you will most likely need a different firmware. In that case, just get in touch with Thomas from audition and he will give you the instructions to install the firmware that sends midi notes...
    I am currently waiting for that instructions and will give you an update soon.

EDIT: It's working perfectly now. :)
    Thank you all!

Post edited by Zwogli on

I can confirm that my Actuation foot switch has the Deluge specific firmware installed.

I will do some more testing tonight. I’ll throw a midi monitor into the mix to capture the output coming from the foot switch to verify. Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate it!

So I can confirm via midi monitor that when I press:

Button 1 sends Midi note C-2
    Button 2 sends Midi note C#-2
    Button 3 sends Midi note D-2
    Button 4 sends midi note D#-2

(all send velocity level 64)

I'm scratching my head a bit on this.

This is Deluge Firmware 4.0 btw.

Just for giggles, I switched the Actition to "normal" firmware (sends CC messages) then switched it back (sends notes) the behavior was the same after confirming it was indeed sending note values.

Weird.. I mean, It certainly indicates that the midi message was received, and indicates the control is set, but after that, there is no behavioral response when the foot switch sends the note...

The play command seems to have a problem with responding correctly on this firmware. Have you tried using the footswitch for any other commands? Or tried using a previous firmware?

hmm... no I haven't. good suggestion. I'll try to map it to a different command, and if I still have issues, try to revert back to 3.5 to see if there is a demonstrable change in behavior.