Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge + Digitakt Users - Program Change Q

Anyone out there using Deluge and Digitakt together?

I'm not having much luck getting my Digitakt to consistently change patterns with program changes sent from the Deluge. In Arranger mode, I think I've happened to trigger it successfully about 4 times in the past 45 minutes, with no rhyme or reason as to why. I can get it to trigger in Song mode consistently, and the start of the new pattern is always 1 bar late (from what I've read this is a Digitakt issue). It's something I could compensate for though if I could get it working in Arranger mode.

Digitakt:
Prog Ch Receive ✓
Auto Channel - 9
Prog Change In Channel - Auto

Deluge:
MIDI Clip Channel - 9
PGM - 1 (for Pattern 1)

Not sure what I'm missing or why the erratic behavior in Arranger mode. My other option of course would be to run everything through a kit on the Deluge and then reduntantly re-program all the parameter changes into the Deluge. Not a good workflow solution.

Anyone have experience with this?

Comments

For posterity, in case it helps anyone in the future, I did get this working. I'm sending PCs from Deluge to change patterns on the Digitakt. In Arranger mode, I have to make sure I put in an instance of the clip with the appropriate PC 1 bar in advance of where I want it to change. Unfortunately I'm not too sure what was causing the original issue.

1heUndertaker1heUndertaker UKBeta Tester Posts: 24

@lakevillain said:
    For posterity, in case it helps anyone in the future, I did get this working. I'm sending PCs from Deluge to change patterns on the Digitakt. In Arranger mode, I have to make sure I put in an instance of the clip with the appropriate PC 1 bar in advance of where I want it to change. Unfortunately I'm not too sure what was causing the original issue.

Hi @lakevillain,
    just posting to say thanks, for taking the time to share your solution - it helps !
    A Digitakt arrived in my music space recently, and I'm beginning the learning/integration process ... :-)
    Cheers

lakevillainlakevillain Posts: 13
    edited April 2022

@1heUndertaker
    Awesome! Let me know if you run into any issues. Happy to discuss. It's been going pretty well so far.

Actually, there a some additional notes that I wrote down while working through the process:

• When using program changes in Arranger Mode, you may also need to have the song's initial clips “armed” in Song Mode in order for the PCs to get sent immediately upon upload of the song file on the Deluge. If those clips are muted in Song Mode, the Digitakt programs won't change until 1 bar after the PC instance placed in Arranger Mode. (This was helpful to figure out while putting together a live set).

• Digitakt's "Prog Change Receive" option under “MIDI Config” is on a per project basis, not global. So you have to check it for each new project if you want it.

Post edited by lakevillain on

@lakevillain
    Thanks, yes that is very useful to know :)
    Knowing the initial 'start' and 'pre-performance' setup conditions is gold ... sharing between our user groups these 'quirks' / 'modus operandi' allows much more to be achieved - thank you again sir !

Soon_ForgetSoon_Forget USAPosts: 18

I would be curious to hear from your opinions on how the Digitakt compliments the Deluge. I've been intrigued by the Digitakt ever since my brain "synth" switch was flipped several years ago. But I always come to the "well, my Deluge can do that function" wall and then my GAS goes away for a few months ... and then I'm back looking at the Digi again.

@Soon_Forget said:
    I would be curious to hear from your opinions on how the Digitakt compliments the Deluge. I've been intrigued by the Digitakt ever since my brain "synth" switch was flipped several years ago. But I always come to the "well, my Deluge can do that function" wall and then my GAS goes away for a few months ... and then I'm back looking at the Digi again.

For me, the Digitakt is a recent (2 months) acquisition - so I'm still building their relationship :)

The standout differences which add value on the Digitakt for me include -

1) More immediate hands-on controls - the more immediately available controls the better, the control-per-function layout is definitely my preference.
    2) Screen with more values and functions shown - easier for me to see what I've adjusted.
    3) A limited operational framework, which seems to prevent the device from 'crashing' when pushing it's limits ...
    (However much I like the Deluge's flexibility in 'unlimited' tracks / sample length / etc, unexpected crashes and lockups are disturbing and subdue experimentation in a live setting - even if they are only an occasional/rare event)
    4) Having the pair, I can give drum percussion duty to one of them, and other can do noises - and swap from one to the other whilst performing, sort of 'fading' in a new track built on the fly.
    5) They both do MIDI tracks, but the Digitakt hasn't locked up on me yet, so sequencing other gear using the Digitakt is more comfortable in terms of reliability when I explore the limits of the Deluge - I can just mute it and switch off/on whilst the other stuff keeps playing.
    6) Quite a big benefit is the ability to lock parameters - this allows some extra creativity. This is not yet available on the Deluge, but even if it became available I would still have the thought that a 'freeze' on the Deluge may happen.

Having said all the above, the main limiting factor was cost.
    So I had to wait for nearly two years before an affordable one came up for sale.
    In dealing with my own GAS issues, I usually set myself a max price to buy which is rather low - which both prevents or delays me from buying and gives me a chance of getting the value back if I don't like the gear and sell it.

A final consideration for the pairing of these two is that they can sample both themselves, and each other .... which makes it possible to use sounds/tracks on one, and use the different features of the other to further explore the different possibilities of manipulation ...

The new Elektron Syntakt was unveiled the other day. A 12 track digital and analog drum synth that looks pretty cool. I think this may be a good time to dip my toes into the Elektron pool. It seems like this is the path the music is telling me to travel.

@Soon_Forget said:
    The new Elektron Syntakt was unveiled the other day. A 12 track digital and analog drum synth that looks pretty cool. I think this may be a good time to dip my toes into the Elektron pool. It seems like this is the path the music is telling me to travel.

Yes, heard about that - but I'm not sure if the Syntakt can sample?
    And even if it can, price would be too much for me to pay until used ones are available... :)

However, I hope you enjoy your journey ! ;)

@1heUndertaker said:

@Soon_Forget said:

Yes, heard about that - but I'm not sure if the Syntakt can sample?
    And even if it can, price would be too much for me to pay until used ones are available... :)

However, I hope you enjoy your journey ! ;)

Do you run your Deluge thru the Digitakt for delay and reverb? I believe the Syntakt has similar capabilities.

I'm also looking forward to midi control options with external devices. Overall they are very similar other than one is a sampler and the other a synth engine and more expensive.

Do you run your Deluge thru the Digitakt for delay and reverb? I believe the Syntakt has similar capabilities.

Yes, I do it both ways, the Deluge can add to the Digitakt FX in the same way that the Digitakt can add to the Deluge ... you can 'reverb the reverb' etc !
    I also use a Zoom MS70CDR pedal as an extra FX device... it can be placed in the middle or at the end of the chain for differing options!
    eg Deluge --> Digitakt --> MS70
    or Digitakt --> MS70 --> Deluge etc
    Much fun can be had with these three :)
    It is also possible to route Deluge and Digitakt through the MS70 in parallel, because the MS70 is stereo...
    And there is also the routing of both of the 'D's back into themselves with one (or two!) of the stereo channels... which can be used as 3x delay/reverb generation... B)

Can you give an overview on how to set up program changes in the Deluge to trigger patterns on an Elektron device? I'm trying to understand the concept of what to setup in the Deluge to play patterns in a project ... I'm assuming if I have multiple patterns that the Deluge can trigger them to play and stop. To keep it simple, say I have four (4) patterns on a Digi-device, what is the basic setup on the Deluge to trigger? Do you need to setup different MIDI channels for each PGM / pattern?

If there is a section in the manual that explain, you can refer. Thanks.

Retroboy_64Retroboy_64 Czech Republic, PraguePosts: 4
    edited May 2022

Yes I have same issue with Analog Rytm.
    People said to me its classic problem.
    Its caused because program change message is sent to Digitakt in same time as calling new clip. So there is a little bit latency betwen so Digitakt waiting whole bar to being sync with new cycle. If Deluge will send PGM change little bit sooner it would be ok.
    I really hope Rohan or other developers will doing something with this.
    Its a shame you cant change patterns on Drum Machines in right time. I really dont understand why this is not repaired. Its little bit change only.

Post edited by Retroboy_64 on