Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Pairing gear with the deluge

levrolandkalblevrolandkalb United StatesPosts: 5

Hey guys,

I got the deluge because I was looking to start a dawless set up and this seemed like the best choice to function as the brains of my operation. Now I'm looking to get my first piece of gear to complement it and I want to spend around 200-300$ Gonna put a list down below could you guys let me know if you have this gear and how you think they fit in or supplement the deluge's limitations.

Some things I have been looking at in no particular order:

**Definitely in my pricerange: **

Modal electronics - sculpt and craft

electron model cycles

mini nova

Behringer crave

A little bit out of my price range:

Microfreak

Any thoughts or any other suggestions of the gear you find to be the best pairing for under 300

Comments

drbourbondrbourbon ItalyBeta Tester Posts: 55

Owning (or having owned) all of these I'd suggest the Crave: huge sounding analog oscillator and you can do crazy stuff with CV connections.

Also consider that Deluge can handle the two input channels separately, so you can connect two mono sound generators (such as crave and microfreak) without using a mixer.

jensgjensg Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 297

Also voting for the crave. Pair it with a zoom 70cdr Effects Unit (which can be hacked to unlock a lot more effects than stock) and you have a huge sound source in your hands.

Also I learned a lot on synthesis when using the crave.

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioBeta Tester Posts: 128

I love the Microfreak and use it a lot with my Deluge, as I find it to be a very inspiring sound engine with an intuitive menu. That said, it is also quite unique given it's keybed, etc. so you'd probably want to try one out first to be sure.

moulfritmoulfrit BelgiqueBeta Tester Posts: 24

Try the Micromonsta 2... it's a great combo with deluge.;-)

moulfritmoulfrit BelgiqueBeta Tester Posts: 24

MicroMonsta 2 is a dual polyphonic synthesizer featuring :

2 x 6 voices of polyphony
    3 oscillators, 1 multimode filter, 3 envelopes, 3 LFOs, 10 modulation slots and 2 operators per voice (lag and mult)
    12 « analog » oscillator types + 4 FM-able oscillators for OSC1
    12 « analog » oscillator types + 8 multisampled wavetables for OSC2 and OSC3 (FM source)
    8 filter types with FM
    Per voice and per oscillator detuning options for analog character
    Deep modulation matrix
    Delay + reverb (per program)

Only 300€

RitmoRitmo Fremont, NebraskaBeta Tester Posts: 2

A bump for the Mini Nova. I rock an Ultra Nova in my setup which is the same digital synth engine. The Novas are so underhyped to me. You can really explore a lot of sound design with their 3 oscillators and , a vocoder, and bonus you could midi control your Deluge with some keys. I do also love the modular aspects of Crave, but I am a piano player at heart so keys are always a must for me. Also, the Mini is just so naturally musical

kbrakbra Helsinki, FinlandBeta Tester Posts: 28

It's probably a silly idea to make a new thread just for this so ...

How about if one dropped the price constraint and could choose any single synth available new to accompany the Deluge - what do you people use and like right now, or would love to have? I'm thinking primarily about desktop form factor myself (have a master KB and a Linnstrument, don't need another keyboard), and preferably a poly rather than mono (for monosynths I have a pretty good idea of what I'd get if I got one).

I use the Deluge almost exclusively battery-powered around the house, and don't want to "permanently" tether it to anything else and sacrifice the all-in-one aspect or portability. Nor am I fond of very elaborate "MIDI studios". So thinking about getting just a single good synth, that would be nice to edit, and would sit permanently on the office / music room table, sometimes hooked up to Deluge to overdub some synth parts with alternate sounds to get a wider palette of synth sounds.

Been thinking about Novation Peak and ASM Hydrasynth that a lot of people seem to use and like, but not 100% convinced on the basic sound of either of those based on the demos so far. On the other end of the spectrum, the new Waldorf M (Wave / Microwave style wavetable synth) sounds completely mind-blowing on most of the demos, but it's on the expensive end of things, and I'm having so much fun with beta 4.0 wavetables on Deluge that I'm not 100% sure if I want another specifically WT synth right now.