Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Click / pop when changing audio clips

jensgjensg Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 297
edited February 2022 in Deluge Help

This is strange. I record an external synth via an audio clip with margins. It loops fine. Then I record the exact same loop again as an audio clip, adjust the attack to 10. When switching the two clips in song mode (with the audio pads in time), an audible click / pop is heard when switching from one clip to the other.

When I record this switching into the arranger view however, nothing clicks / pops, it works as expected and one clip smoothly transitions to the other one.

Why is that? (Yes, I turned on attack in both audio clips to ensure a smooth transition and yes, both clips were recorded with margins.)

Post edited by jensg on

Comments

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 610

maybe the click/pop is from one track being muted (no muting at a point that is no zero-crossing). which is why in arranger mode, mutes and unmutes happen per completed loop so u hear no pops. maybe you have elongated the start pops and have to sort out the end pops? could adding a release help?

Well, the Loop is changed the exact same time, whether in arranger or song mode. So one is introducing a pop, and one (arranger) not. Is the transition from one clip to the other handled differently in the different modes then?

So there is no solution or explanation to this behavior?

you could upload the project (collect all save in the deluge) then i could try to reproduce on my end and investigate.

Have not found an answer to this, but it seems, just resampling the clip and putting the resample into kit row is the way to go. More fine control, no clicking, all fine.

It doesn’t solve the mystery but helps me to continue building.

Dig the two loops in the project, I can hear a subtle click only when switching from the TOP loop to the BOTTOM loop, but ONLY when launching via mute pad. When you launch via section color the click doesn't occur, oddly enough. I think it's a bug.

I definitely will agree that how you are making loops work is better suited in kit clips especially if it's to sequence them. The launching option from song view would be fun and interesting in a performance setting.

If you don't mind, I'll make a post in the beta testing section with your project file link.

edited March 2022

It is even more pronounced when using other audio material. The deluge would benefit from some sort of zero crossing mechanism.

Like when changing sections, clips, loop samples and so on. There are quite a lot of situations when I have to work around popping / clicking which on other systems work (for example koala sampler).

It kind of kills a polished track and degrades an otherwise fine piece of equipment.

Post edited by jensg on

I didn’t realize that changing via section does not show the pop.

Very odd indeed. Good find!