β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Headphones as microphones

simonbrdlysimonbrdly United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 24

I couldn't find anything on this, but maybe there is a simple explanation/fix? When my Deluge is turned off but plugged into my soundcard (Scarlett 2i2), I can monitor sounds by tapping my headphones (when plugged into Deluge headphone socket). I know headphones can be used as microphones in some circumstances, but I'm not sure how/why it is happening with the Deluge turned off. When I turn the Deluge back on, the issue is resolved. Any ideas?

Comments

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

I assume that the deluge is connected to the soundcard via stereo out and your headphones are in the headphone jack. Both outputs on the deluge are "the same" meaning that they always put out the same signal, hence the outview that the deluge will never support analog multi out, because they can't be split.
    Now I'm just guessing but what if you're tapping on the headphones to generate some signal, it travels through the headphone jack and instead of going anywhere deep into the deluge it just takes a turn and leaves the deluge again through the stereo outs, because those two are connected very close to the socket anyway? I feel like this is what might be happening.

Alder_DiceAlder_Dice UKBeta Tester Posts: 128

This will be of no help whatsoever, but whenever I hear talk of using headphones as microphones (intentionally or otherwise) I find myself daydreaming about the opposite. It's a pretty funny thing to imagine attempting.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

@Alder_Dice said:
    This will be of no help whatsoever, but whenever I hear talk of using headphones as microphones (intentionally or otherwise) I find myself daydreaming about the opposite. It's a pretty funny thing to imagine attempting.

like this?

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

@Heptagen said:
    I assume that the deluge is connected to the soundcard via stereo out and your headphones are in the headphone jack. Both outputs on the deluge are "the same" meaning that they always put out the same signal, hence the outview that the deluge will never support analog multi out, because they can't be split.
    Now I'm just guessing but what if you're tapping on the headphones to generate some signal, it travels through the headphone jack and instead of going anywhere deep into the deluge it just takes a turn and leaves the deluge again through the stereo outs, because those two are connected very close to the socket anyway? I feel like this is what might be happening.

Yes, the Deluge outputs are connected to the soundcard and headphones into Deluge. That makes sense, yes... and when the Deluge is turned on, the direct signal is interrupted and it goes 'deep into the Deluge?

@volsteh said:

@Alder_Dice said:

like this?

Thanks for posting, sometimes the funniest things are indeed helpful! A very thorough explanation and demonstration of the general issue, to be sure!