Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

TO CHOP WE RESAMPLE / Resample volume is lower than original Recs

Fabi_OhmyamFabi_Ohmyam ItalyPosts: 29
edited January 2022 in Deluge Help

Hello.
Recently discovered that if we really want to "chop" a sound we have recorded( Sampled) , the only way is to 'edit' ( TO TRIM ) the sample (Start/end) and then ReSample it ( in Kit Mode: Rec+Pad , or: Rec+ Play ).
So actually we need to resample for to chop perfectly any sound that can be slide in to a kit or pitched in to a synth .
Right?
I have read on FB that Resampled files are normalised but I have noticed that volumes are lower than their originals.
Very notable from mic recordings. Once resampled the sound, the level of the new file is definitely lower .
Why ? is that a Loss of quality ?

Post edited by Fabi_Ohmyam on

Comments

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 608
    edited January 2022

mostly correct on the first point. you don't have to resample a chop to get it in a kit, you can edit the start/end of a sample and it can be triggered there, but yes you would have to resample if you want to have that chop ready to go as a file for another project (but you could save the kit of non-resampled chops and load that kit into other projects).

as far as the level being different, i would keep an eye on the volume/level of the resampled file. if you look at the gold knobs for level you might notice that they would have been lowered or raised after loading. no loss of quality should occur AFAIK.

but also what might be going on is that the default velocity on the deluge is 65, maybe raising velocity would be helpful here. EDIT: after testing, it seems like velocity doesn't affect how the resample file is normalized

Post edited by reza on
    Fabi_OhmyamFabi_Ohmyam ItalyPosts: 29

@reza said:
    mostly correct on the first point. you don't have to resample a chop to get it in a kit, you can edit the start/end of a sample and it can be triggered there, but yes you would have to resample if you want to have that chop ready to go as a file for another project (but you could save the kit of non-resampled chops and load that kit into other projects).

as far as the level being different, i would keep an eye on the volume/level of the resampled file. if you look at the gold knobs for level you might notice that they would have been lowered or raised after loading. no loss of quality should occur AFAIK.

but also what might be going on is that the default velocity on the deluge is 65, maybe raising velocity would be helpful here. EDIT: after testing, it seems like velocity doesn't affect how the resample file is normalized

OK , Thanks Reza
    so everything seams confirmed.
    Thanks to point out the fact of the volume on the gold knob. This is comforting

I would have love it if Synthstrom would have put words like "Chop" or "Master/Slave" in the Manual and only afterwards call them in to shortcuts as they like to. They would have less questions to answer ..

cheers