Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Based in the minimalist music from the 60s and 70s from Steve Reich, Terry Riley, Philip Glass and o

2
mcpepemcpepe Marbella, SpainBeta Tester Posts: 89

Based in the minimalist music from the 60s and 70s from Steve Reich, Terry Riley, Philip Glass and others.
Using a Zoom H1n handy recorder I recorded three simple 15secs piano loops in my Monome Norns. Using Cheat Codes 2 you slice each of these 3 loops into 16 slices, so you have a lot of little elements you can reorder and repeat to create new music. You then use the Grid to "play" with these elements live in 3 layers of music.
Euclidean rhythms were used to play all the samples. It's very fun to make rhythmic variations altering the parameters, changing the density and lenght of the loops to create 5, 6, 7 and 10 pattern lenghts in beautiful polymeters.
On top of that I used the Deluge to play some synth sounds and a bass.
For this video I recorded 9 different timelapses from the place I live, San Pedro Alcántara (Spain)

Comments

  • 1
    HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 222

    I LOVE THIS. You nailed the feeling of the original minimal music so well! I love this genre so so much and your track fits perfectly.
    If you make a whole album like this, I will buy it. Let me know if you actually decide to do so.

  • 1
    HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 222

    I feel like one comment is not enough to express my appreciation. So here's another one.
    Good job. I LOVE THIS.

  • 1
    EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 269

    inspiring and well done. You can do slicing in the deluge as well but I guess the Monome does special things, I´ve got to take a deeper look to that device.
    Like it!

  • 0
    mcpepemcpepe Marbella, SpainBeta Tester Posts: 89

    @Heptagen said:
    I LOVE THIS. You nailed the feeling of the original minimal music so well! I love this genre so so much and your track fits perfectly.
    If you make a whole album like this, I will buy it. Let me know if you actually decide to do so.

    Thank you Heptagen for your love! I have not released an album yet, and one of the reason is because I like to play many styles and this is not good for an album, that should be more specific.

  • 2
    Alder_DiceAlder_Dice UKBeta Tester Posts: 97

    Love how the cars occasionally sync with the staccato elements.

    I feel like you could achieve the Monome technique within the Deluge, by creating a slice kit and doing probability-based sequencing. Not criticising your workflow at all, just don't want to get gear-lust for the Monome if I can avoid it!

  • 0
    mcpepemcpepe Marbella, SpainBeta Tester Posts: 89

    @Eddy said:
    inspiring and well done. You can do slicing in the deluge as well but I guess the Monome does special things, I´ve got to take a deeper look to that device.
    Like it!

    I think this track could have been done entirely with the Deluge. Now, with the new beta, the Deluge can also make euclidean rhythms. And it can do slices too so... Now that I think more about it maybe the part where the some slices are randomized is not possible, as far as I know.

  • 0
    mcpepemcpepe Marbella, SpainBeta Tester Posts: 89

    @Alder_Dice said:
    Love how the cars occasionally sync with the staccato elements.

    I feel like you could achieve the Monome technique within the Deluge, by creating a slice kit and doing probability-based sequencing. Not criticising your workflow at all, just don't want to get gear-lust for the Monome if I can avoid it!

    Yes. I think you are right. I may try to do another track like this only using the Deluge. Thanks!

Sign In or Register to comment.