Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

MIDI cable trick for advanced parameter sequencing

I don't know if I'm the first Deluger to try this, but I feel like I've just opened up a world of possibilities for 'modular'-style parameter sequencing.

1. Run a MIDI cable from the MIDI out to the MIDI in port.
  2. Create a MIDI clip of an interesting length
  3. Hold down a gold knob and turn the select knob to choose any CC number
  4. Record or step-sequence some automation of that knob. I like to step-sequence then delete the notes
  5. Now create a synth clip. One long note is good for now.
  6. Press play
  7. Select a parameter
  8. Hold 'learn'. The parameter should now be automated by the MIDI clip.
  9. Go back and fine-tune the MIDI clip now that you can hear what it's doing
  10. Mute the MIDI clip so your synth part can listen to a new one
  11. Create a new MIDI clip of a different length
  12. Go back into your synth and follow steps 6-11 to your heart's content!
  13. Change the single note in your synth part to something more interesting. Try jamming in keyboard mode while the MIDI does its thing
  14. Create some MIDI clips to send note data if you like.
  15. Add more synth parts, listening to the same MIDI clips, but with the CCs assigned to different parameters.

Even if you don't want to get into making complex polyrhythmic stuff, this trick is really useful for creating automation lanes that you can mute temporarily and arrange independently of the note data.

Tagged:

Comments

oneANToneANT ɹǝpun uʍop puɐlPosts: 73

am going to try this ..the inout is something I have wanted to do since seeing this

Thanks hugely for the details, will try it tomorrow ..
    ant

Alder_DiceAlder_Dice UKBeta Tester Posts: 128

@oneANT said:
    am going to try this ..the inout is something I have wanted to do since seeing this

ant

I've had another play and it's a bit of a game-changer for me.

Yes it basically turns MIDI clips into FX arpeggiator modules.

Or you can slow down the tempo then record a short controller sweep. Custom LFOs anyone?

@oneANT said:

ant

Thanks for sharing that video. I missed it the first time. I like the arpeggiator gate tweaking trick.

supchikovsupchikov Beta Tester Posts: 20

Thanks for perfect idea, already tested it, cool story!!!
    Little notice, you can use this method even if you want to use it with synths connected with midi:
    Deluge midi output -> midi in of synth -> midi thru of synth -> midi input of deluge.
    So, thru synths we returning midi, to the deluge. There can be not just one synth…

@supchikov said:
    Thanks for perfect idea, already tested it, cool story!!!
    Little notice, you can use this method even if you want to use it with synths connected with midi:
    Deluge midi output -> midi in of synth -> midi thru of synth -> midi input of deluge.
    So, thru synths we returning midi, to the deluge. There can be not just one synth…

Oh cool, I hadn't thought that far ahead! All of my other synths are in storage, but maybe I'll try it with some VST instruments a route the MIDI-THU back to the Deluge for good measure.

I was just reading @jensg 's cool post about multi-oscillator/stacked synths

https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/4058/surprisingly-complex-kit-synth-trick#latest

For me, the MIDI cable trick is an even better way to achieve this, which @supchikov mentioned in passing above.

You can create a MIDI part, then have multiple synth parts listening to it. This way you can stack voices in realtime without having to resample.

--

My favourite, unrelated thing about the MIDI cable trick is to do with sequencing workflow...

Normally, if you want to add a new section with the same synth, you need to duplicate the part. This is fine until you decide to change some sound settings later on, which entails saving the synth preset and loading a clone for every section, every time you make a tweak.

With the MIDI cable hack, you just have a singe synth part listening to a single MIDI channel, then make new MIDI clips for each section of your tune, each sending notes on that same channel.