Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Looping Workflow Problem

DavidDavid GermanyPosts: 22

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with live looping using a midi foot controller. (Nektar Pacer)

I have all the midi commands mapped to the Pacer in the settings page and when I create an Audio track, set monitoring and loop everything works fine as long as the loop is the first track. I can record overdubs and it operates as expected.

The problem I am having is when I already have a synth/midi/kit track laid down. When I try to loop while other tracks are recorded, the looper shuts off (stops) the existing tracks, creates 2 new ones and then doesn't record any audio.

My process would be:
1) In a new song, create Midi/Kit track for a beat and put in a sequence
2) Create Audio track, Set monitoring to Left. (I am recording mono from a mixer), then tap the midi controller to activate looping.

When I activate looping, 2 tracks get created and the Midi/Kit track stops at the beginning of the next cycle while one looper track launches and records, but no audio is recorded, the second looper track stops along with the Midi/Kit track.

What am i doing wrong?

I would like to create loops based on one cycle or multiple cycles of the drums I have sequenced.

Thanks in advance for the help!

David

Best Answer

Answers

thethanxthethanx USAPosts: 9
    edited December 2021

Hey friend, been messing with looping a lot today, and I think I (sort of) know what's going on.

For whatever reason when you're recording loops this way you're triggering "continuous audio overdub" mode as outlined on page 196 of the manual. I can replicate this by creating a new audio track holding RECORD + SECTION/AUDITION.

At least this is why it's creating 2 audio tracks and stopping your initial loop.

I'm not sure why it's NOT doing continuous audio overdub when you don't load up something else first, but I guess I would check your midi commands and make sure you've got the LOOP command assigned and not the LAYEr command assigned.

edit
    So I figured out continuous overdub, and the reason it's behaving the way it's behaving for you is because it's really only meant to be used WHILE ALREADY RECORDING A REGULAR LOOP.

Work flow wise this means Start recording a regular loop > Trigger continuous audio overdub and it will continue to create loops on top of the one you've got each time the loop comes back around. The reason it's just turning everything off is because it's not layering a loop already in progress.

Anyway... that being said, I'm more convinced than ever that your issue is that you've assigned a button to LAYEr instead of LOOP and if you make sure it's assigned to LOOP instead your troubles will be solved. :smile:

Post edited by thethanx on