Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Overwhelming paralysis with lots of stuff - basic question - probably being stupid

HarperHarper EnglandPosts: 7

So I've had the deluge a week or so - been watching youtube vids as a guide. Have manual open on PC.

Overwhelmed about where to start so , I guess that's here. Sorry if this is super obvious, but I'm not fathoming something, clearly.

• I created a clip - kit - 1 bar drum pattern. Saved it as Clip 0A - can load it back fine, change it, save it again.

• I created another clip - 4 bar bass line. Saved it as clip 2. Again, can load it, change it, save it back.

What I can't do is get them to play together.

Whichever clip I load is the only one that shows up in Song mode.

If I tap on the next track in song mode, I can create a clip, and this will play, but if I load my bass into this clip, it replaces the one track at the top. If I load the drums, then that becomes the one and only track.

How can I load my two clips in to song mode? Or am I doing it wrong?

When I'm loading and saving my ""clips"" am I really loading and saving songs ? I guess that would explain it.

I feel so silly!

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

You have it right at the end there. There is no way to save clips specifically. You must be saving the song. You need to create multiple clips in the same song to have them play together.
    If you really want to combine clips that you’ve saved in separate songs into one, you can do this by copying and pasting the clip contents from one song to the other.
    Within the clip:
    Copy - learn + press horizontal knob
    Paste - shift + learn + press horizontal knob

percussijanpercussijan GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 50

Probably you saved both clips as separate songs instead of creating two different clips inside a single song (?)

(Song = project on the Deluge)

Clips are always stored inside a project/song - then you save the whole thing with all clips you created inside the song/project. Just like any project within a DAW.

When you press the load button and after that turn the select-knob (Big black knob left of the display) you are switching between songs, not clips. In song mode "0A" means version "A" of project "0", "2" means project 2.

Try this:

Power on the Deluge. It usually starts up with a blank song/project - only one single synth clip is active (clip button is illuminated blue, synth button is illuminated red).

You are currently in synth-view of that clip inside of a new song.

Now tap in some random steps/notes on the grid. (You should hear synth sounds when doing this)

Then switch to song-view (press song/arrng button once, above clip button).

The upper first row of the grid in song view represents the synth-clip you just tapped some notes in.

Now hold down any pad of the second row on the grid and push the KIT button to create a new drumkit.

Just tap in some random steps/notes on the grid (you should hear drum sounds) and switch back to song mode.
    The second upper row of the grid now represents your drum-clip.

Hit play.

Both clips should be playing at the same time now.

If you press the save button (twice - second press is the actual save, after the initial push you can type in a song name or choose a number to save to), both clips will be saved as a new song/project now :wink:

HarperHarper EnglandPosts: 7

@Too_Mere said:
    You have it right at the end there. There is no way to save clips specifically. You must be saving the song. You need to create multiple clips in the same song to have them play together.
    If you really want to combine clips that you’ve saved in separate songs into one, you can do this by copying and pasting the clip contents from one song to the other.
    Within the clip:
    Copy - learn + press horizontal knob
    Paste - shift + learn + press horizontal knob

I did see a video explaining copy/pasta but I clearly got it wrong because I'm /sure/ I tried that. In fact, I missed the click on the horizontal knob :)

So now I have learned some things, and I can reunite my drums with my bass. Good times :)

Cheers

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Nice! Cheers