Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Additive Synthesis / Organ Sounds

annaluiseannaluise Berlin, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 19

Hey dears,

i just realized that the Delly is also capable of additive synthesis. By assigning multiple synth tracks to the same midi controller you can play them simultaneously.

This may be pretty obvious to some of you.

I was trying to replicate a Hammond organ using the eorgan single cycle waveforms from AKWF. That actually worked good enough.

But then i realized i could just as well use five synth tracks (nine sine waves) to emulate the nine drawbars of the b3 organ. Using LFO1 to modulate the pitch of each track and LFO2 to modulate the LPF frequency as well as the pan of each track makes for a good enough Leslie.

Then i assigned the volumes of the individual oscillators to the nine drawbars of my midi controller and the rates of all the LFOs to the same single knob on the controller. Another knob assigned to the reverb of each track.

Turning the knob for the LFOs by hand until you reach the rate that sounds right seems to emulate the acceleration of the Leslie good enough.

I just had a few minutes to experiment with this this morning. But it's a promising sound already.

Post edited by annaluise on

Comments

oneANToneANT ɹǝpun uʍop puɐlPosts: 73

I didn't know what a 'Leslie' was/is and had a lot of fun discovering that I had heard it many times. Have played with the AKWF kit too ..and discovered how much I still have to learn.

ant

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Nice ideas! A good example for how to work around the limits.

DaEmbassyDaEmbassy SydneyPosts: 54

OK, it's the dumb kid here - what does the acronym AWKF stand for?

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

@DaEmbassy said:

Adventure Kid Waveforms :)
    https://www.adventurekid.se/AKRTfiles/AKWF/view/waveforms_index.html

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

oneANToneANT ɹǝpun uʍop puɐlPosts: 73
    edited August 2021

@DaEmbassy said:

the loopop video explains them as well ..
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=KQm-OxjSt5Y

and
    Instructions for use with Deluge (thanks to Icoustik):
    1. Set one or both oscillators to “sample”
    2. Select any of the waveforms as the sample
    3. Set the sample mode to “Loop”
    4. Transpose the oscillator down 2 semitones and 2 cents, or up 10 semitones
    5. Turn the volume of the oscillator down to about 25 as these waveforms tend to overdrive the amp. This is especially true if they’re used polyphonically.

ant

Post edited by oneANT on
    Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

@annaluise woah this sounds really cool! I don't have my MIDI controller setup right now but am definitely interested in trying it out. Would love to heard some sounds you get if you're up for posting them :smiley:

DaEmbassyDaEmbassy SydneyPosts: 54

Thank You, @volsteh for turning me on to Adventure Kid and his work.

I realise I spelled the acronym wrong - my apologies - too much time spent working with Aho, Weinberger, and Kernighan.

Thank you also to @oneANT for the instructions on how to use the one-cycle samples.