Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Storage management and the mysterious CLIPS/TEMP folder

galengalen Beta Tester Posts: 22

Hi all,

I’m trying to understand how to keep my storage tidy on my SD card. Is there an easy way to know when a WAV file is not being used by any songs/synths/etc.? Also, when does a WAV file end up in CLIPS and when does it end up in CLIPS/TEMP? Is there a resource I can read anywhere that details how the Deluge manages audio-clip storage?

Thanks!

Best Answers

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USAPosts: 993
    Answer ✓

When you record audio into an audio clip the recording is stored in the CLIPS/TEMP folder. If you save the song then those files are automatically moved out of the TEMP folder into the CLIPS folder. So any files still in the TEMP files are usually safe to delete, as those are audio clips from songs that were never saved, or clips that were deleted before saving.

Beyond the TEMP folder, it’s not so apparent whether samples are used by songs/presets or not. Fortunately there’s a free app called Deluge Commander that does exactly that.
    Google Deluge Commander and you should find it.

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USAPosts: 993
    Answer ✓

No problem! 👍🏼

Answers

galengalen Beta Tester Posts: 22

Makes sense — thanks!

joeshjoesh BrusselsPosts: 67

One thing that would be very useful (on the Deluge) is a way of seeing what sound files have been used in a project. Something like the Reaper 'bak' files which leave a trace of your work which is time-stamped.

I've sometimes been in a rush due to a creative streak, and then moved files later in an organising spree (sort of spring cleaning), only to realise that a track/clip can't find the samples I used originally. I've often made a version on a DAW, so I've been lucky. But as for performing the piece at a later date, I'll have to redo some of the work again ..... :/

BTW, if someone has an idea of how one can go back in time and find the which samples have been used where, I'd be most interested. I sometimes have a look at the XML files using Emacs, but they're very wordy, so that's not too useful. And, as you mention (@Too_Mere), I'm already using Deluge Commander, which is very useful for general file browsing.

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 604

@joesh i think now that deluge commander is in ur arsenal you'll be set moving forward (i just used it for the first time the other day and it was great to consolidate sound packs) but as per fixing old files, i would suggest searching within the XML files of the messed up projects and search something like .wav and find the anomalies that aren't from drum kit files to hone in on what to look for

joeshjoesh BrusselsPosts: 67
    edited August 2021

@reza said:
    i would suggest searching within the XML files of the messed up projects and search something like .wav and find the anomalies that aren't from drum kit files to hone in on what to look for

Yes, I tried that, but there's so much there it's difficult to find what I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip anyhow.

Actually, just to update this comment (27th August), I ended up just re-pointing the .wav file links in the XML document. It worked fine, and seems the best way to go about the problem I mentioned. However, one should make sure you've made a back up copy of your original SD card (with the files etc) on your computer, as once you've made the changes you can't undo them - although you can rewrite them.

Post edited by joesh on
    Fabi_OhmyamFabi_Ohmyam ItalyPosts: 29
    edited January 2022

@Too_Mere said:
    No problem! 👍🏼

Hello.
    1-Is it possible to change the name of the folder CLIP in to something else . Will Deluge recognise the folder or is programmed to automatically send to CLIP folder the samples we are using in CLIP Mode ?
    2 - I don't understand why this folder is inside the SAMPLES folder and why isn't locked in a fixed position.
    I don't truly get the position of that CLIP, RECORD E RESAMPLE folders there in between the samples. Samples I always want to dig while choosing sound and composing.

P.S.
    3-Sometimes I notice that the SD folders are locked and can't be modified. Then I put back the SD card and I suddenly can modify them again.
    4- A part of the new subdivision of categories and folders , I am curious to know if with the new OS there will be a more solid hierarchy in the SD form without the need of third party soft like commander

Post edited by Fabi_Ohmyam on
    Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993
    1. No. The CLIPS folder is necessary and cannot be changed. This is where all audio files recorded into audio clips appear.

2. All sample browsing is done from within the SAMPLES folder. Keeping those folders there make them accessible from within kits, synths, and audio clips. I recommend using folder organization to more easily find the samples you need.

3. Sounds like maybe the lock switch on the SD card got flipped.

4. The upcoming 4.0 firmware adds the ability to create folders for presets and songs, right from the Deluge.