Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How to avoid sample issues? (samples randomly, start, stop, or do not play)

Hi -

I've been noticing some issues with samples

This has generally occurred when I have numerous layers

• If I have say, a 16 bar sample, when I press play, the first four bars do not play, then afterward they play.
  • There is also the opposite, say 12 bars in, the sample stops.

To be more concise -

If I have samples triggered on the same beat in different layers, there can be a canceling of one of the respective samples. This can also happen with synth layers, say I have a synth playing a 4 bar note, if a specific sample comes on bar 2, it can stop the remaining 2 bars from playing.

I'm curious, does the SD card come into play here? I am running a San Disk ultra 64gb.

Any insight much appreciated.

Cheers

Tagged:

Answers

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

The SD card shouldn’t be an issue.
    Here’s what the manual says about CPU usage:
    14.3 Deluge CPU Performance
    Processing power and CPU management
    Deluge does not enforce firm limits on how many tracks or voices may sound at once thus allowing the user as many as they wish. The ultimate limitation will inevitably be based on Deluge’s CPU loading especially from concurrent voices or effects. Under conditions of high CPU loading, Deluge will switch off a synth or sample voice to lower its load. Deluge will attempt to do this in the most subtle way possible, preferring to switch off voices which are “releasing”, and those which have been sounding for the longest time.
    Unaffected sample voices are very light on the CPU. This has been tested with a measure of up to 110 sounding at once. For synth voices, the most simple ones are light enough to allow around 64 to play.
    The Deluge’s analog-modelled oscillator types and drive filter consume a little more CPU than the other types, but not enormously more.
    Considerations for CPU power :-
    • Analog-simulated delay, time stretching, and pitch shifting (where pitch and time are treated independently - including live audio input) are the highest CPU users.
    • All other effects and synth features, though lighter, will add to the CPU’s load as well.
    • Synths with unison switched on will multiply the amount of processing power that that synth consumes.
    • Arpeggiation can generate a lot of CPU-eating voices very rapidly, which can add up if polyphony is on (is set to POLY) and if the release time is long. Try changing these parameters if you notice voices cutting out on your song.
    • There is a slight CPU overhead for each sound present in the Deluge’s currently loaded song - even if it is not sounding at a given moment. This may begin to affect CPU performance if you have more than 50 to 100 sounds loaded. For this reason, you may wish to refrain from importing large folders of samples as kits where these are not in-fact used. Multi-sampled instruments, count as just one sound regardless of how many separate samples they contain.
    • Voice priority can be manually set for a sound, to tell the Deluge which voices to consider (or not) dropping first - see sound editor.
    • See sample interpolation / pitch for some additional notes on CPU usage.

I go through these points and see what you can do to lower the CPU load. And set priorities to more critical sounds in the song.

qwerty4kqwerty4k Posts: 4

Thanks very much -

I'll also look at resampling many layers into one - hopefully this mediates CPU load and keeps song elements.

Chea

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

That should for sure help! No problem 👍🏼