โ€บ
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Using Novation Launchkey Mk2 MIDI Controller

DaEmbassyDaEmbassy SydneyPosts: 54

I am a beginner.
I have read the discussion "List of tested and supported controllers with Deluge's USB hosting" but sadly I could not derive the answer to my question (below)

I have a Novation Launchkey Mk2 49-key MIDI controller that I would like to use with my Deluge. The Launchkey has a USB Type B socket at the rear that I would normally connect to my PC using a cable that has USB Type B at one end, and USB Type A at the other.

Now the Deluge also has a USB Type B, so I reason that to connect the Deluge and the Launchkey I need a cable with USB Type B at both ends. I CAN NOT find such a cable to purchase.

I could buy four core-wire and two type USB Type B sockets and solder a cable together, but I don't know how to wire it (straight thru? crossover?) and I'm not keen to make a mistake and damage the Deluge.

What do you Mentors recommend?
Cheers,

MBC

Comments

PercivalePercivale SingaporeBeta Tester Posts: 32

Not familiar with that Launchkey. Will this work?

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Itโ€™s not super easy to find. I bought a bad adapter from Amazon. Synthstrom sells the adapters and cables on their website if you donโ€™t have a nearby electronics store that carries them.

ceetronicceetronic Chepstow, South Wales, UKBeta Tester Posts: 62

I did exactly as @Too_Mere did and ended up with a duff connector. Ended up getting one from Synthstrom instead.

Thank You @Percivale @Too_Mere @ceetronic for your lead.

I have ordered this connector, and I live in hope!

I will report back here after I have trialled the connector. Here's hoping!

MBC

@DaEmbassy said:
    Thank You @Percivale @Too_Mere @ceetronic for your lead.

I have ordered this connector, and I live in hope!

I will report back here after I have trialled the connector. Here's hoping!

MBC

No problem ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
    I forgot to mention I do have a Launchkey that works well with the Deluge over USB :)

To close this topic out - I purchase a USB-A female to USB-A male plus (I bought two actually, as shown below), plugged it into the Deluge, hooked up the cable to the Launchkey, and I was able to play notes on the Launchkey and have them sound on the Deluge. I also successfully tested assigning the Launchkey's sliders, pads, and rotary pots to parameters on the Deluge.

Thank you @Too_Mere and @Percivale for your help.

@DaEmbassy said:
    To close this topic out - I purchase a USB-A female to USB-A male plus (I bought two actually, as shown below), plugged it into the Deluge, hooked up the cable to the Launchkey, and I was able to play notes on the Launchkey and have them sound on the Deluge. I also successfully tested assigning the Launchkey's sliders, pads, and rotary pots to parameters on the Deluge.

Thank you @Too_Mere and @Percivale for your help.

Glad youโ€™ve got it working! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

PercivalePercivale SingaporeBeta Tester Posts: 32

Goodie.

luis_costaluis_costa PortugalBeta Tester Posts: 28

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if using this usb adapter you are able to send midi clock from the Deluge into the Launchkey, in order to use the Novation's arpegiattor in sync?

pogodancepogodance United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 57

I bought a cheap adaptor from amazon and it's not working for me, tried two usb keyboards and no light coming on at all... but I DON"T have power plugged in. Do you really need power plugged in for this to work? Was there some work around with powered hubs or something? I might be misremembering.

The Deluge must be receiving mains power in order to enter USB host mode.

Was there something about not needing external barrel PSU if you were using a powered USB hub, or am I completely misremembering? Sorry to ask, I did search!

No, the Deluge needs the power supply for that functionality to work.

Must have been wishful thinking. Great thanks!

No problem ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ