Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Audio as an oscillator

OldHorn666OldHorn666 Hämeenlinna, FinlandPosts: 14

So, we were messing with Deluge with my girlfriend. I had Shure SM57 connected to Deluge external mic input. I made a new synth, changed Osc 1 to InLR. When I pressed a note, we hear my girlfriends voice and it changes by the note we press. My question is this:

Why do we hear that default synth sound in the background? It's silent but we can still hear it. Is this normal?

I tried to find an answer to this, but nothing. Hopefully someone can tell me what's going on with this. Thank you.

Tagged:

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

It sounds like you changed the the Osc type in a patch that still has modulation, filtering, and/or a second oscillator mixed in.

Start by holding shift + synth to initialize the patch. Then change the osc type. That will give you just the pitched effect you’re after.

@Too_Mere said:
    It sounds like you changed the the Osc type in a patch that still has modulation, filtering, and/or a second oscillator mixed in.

Start by holding shift + synth to initialize the patch. Then change the osc type. That will give you just the pitched effect you’re after.

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I make a new song. I press shift + synth and I change Osc 1 into InLR. I still hear that default sound. It's really faint, but it's there. Osc 2 is at 0.

Okay, so, now I found out that this happens only when I use external mic. I connect my Shure SM57 into external mic input and I can hear that synth sound in the background. When I use internal mic, this doesn't happen. I use XLR to 3,5mm TRS cable. Is my Deluge broken? :open_mouth:

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Maybe your setup just has a buzz or a hum that you mistake for an oscillator?

@Heptagen said:
    Maybe your setup just has a buzz or a hum that you mistake for an oscillator?

Nope, I'm using only Deluge, it's working with battery, headphones and a microphone. It's that default synth sound that plays in the background.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited May 2021

maybe one osc is set ti audio in an the other is not set to 0?

Edit: nvm, I just saw you said its set to 0.

Post edited by volsteh on

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

edited May 2021

@volsteh said:
    maybe one osc is set ti audio in an the other is not set to 0?

Edit: nvm, I just saw you said its set to 0.

Yeah, this is just weird because it doesn't do this when using internal mic, only when I plug in external mic.

Post edited by OldHorn666 on
    HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Can you share the preset so we can test it on our units?

@Heptagen said:
    Can you share the preset so we can test it on our units?

It's just the default synth. Press Shift+Synth. Then change the osc 1 into InLR. Nothing more. When I press notes, I can hear my voice but also that init synth sound in the background faintly. I don't have a computer right now, so I can't share that preset. But I can take a video of it later today.

Did you tried some other input like inL or inR?

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

@volsteh said:
    Did you tried some other input like inL or inR?

Yes, it's the same.

Okay, here's a really quick video I made about the problem. And I noticed there's a background sound with internal mic also, not just so loud.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uvHb5mCt6Hyg7Va3n7XCCd3a7ChCkaTw/view?usp=drivesdk

So in that video it sounds like interference or something. Not the sound of an oscillator or synth. When you switch to the internal mic I hear pitched background noise, which is to be expected.
    I’m thinking this is likely due to the mic and its connection. Some mics draw power over xlr. The adaptor could be an issue too. Using a preamp with the mic may help supplying power and a stable connection.

@Too_Mere said:
    So in that video it sounds like interference or something. Not the sound of an oscillator or synth. When you switch to the internal mic I hear pitched background noise, which is to be expected.
    I’m thinking this is likely due to the mic and its connection. Some mics draw power over xlr. The adaptor could be an issue too. Using a preamp with the mic may help supplying power and a stable connection.

Yeah, few people said the same thing about connection. But does anyone else have this issue? I mean, is it an issue that should be fixed or can I keep using my Deluge? :smiley:

edited May 2021

Try using a different source and cable into that mic input. Like an aux cable from your phone or something. If it sounds okay it’s an issue with the mic or its cable. If you get the same noise then it may be an issue with the deluge or its input.

If you test and it seems to be the latter, you should fill out this form:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeTP-eDaaDOmU4-WRXcVhQIoIBd8bkLC_Up4_Lt1RbYZXA-xQ/viewform

Post edited by Too_Mere on

@Too_Mere said:
    Try using a different source and cable into that mic input. Like an aux cable from your phone or something. If it sounds okay it’s an issue with the mic or its cable. If you get the same noise then it may be an issue with the deluge or its input.

If you test and it seems to be the latter, you should fill out this form:
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeTP-eDaaDOmU4-WRXcVhQIoIBd8bkLC_Up4_Lt1RbYZXA-xQ/viewform

I tried it with my Zoom H1, same thing. And I tried with another cable and another Shure SM57. Same thing. Thank you!

No problem. Good luck!

Do you have a wifi source nearby or a wifi sd card? I had interference from my phone wifi when it was near.

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

@volsteh said:
    Do you have a wifi source nearby or a wifi sd card? I had interference from my phone wifi when it was near.

I live in a one room apartment and I do have a wifi source few meters away, but it's not on right now. No wifi SD cards. And here's something weird. I just used internal mic and Deluges own speaker.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vIW3RFcdj2QHkxYB9VcsOWqtOHzhUq4y/view?usp=drivesdk

I don't know what is going on. :smiley:

Well, I think this is normal, you get a feedback loop from speaker to microphone.

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

@OldHorn666 said:

@volsteh said:

I live in a one room apartment and I do have a wifi source few meters away, but it's not on right now. No wifi SD cards. And here's something weird. I just used internal mic and Deluges own speaker.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vIW3RFcdj2QHkxYB9VcsOWqtOHzhUq4y/view?usp=drivesdk

I don't know what is going on. :smiley:

In that second video you’re just getting feedback. It’s the mic picking up the sound from the speaker. This is expected and why headphones are recommended when using the mic with monitoring.

Yeah, but why only when I press that one button? That's the weird part. I mean, with other buttons, nothing. I know feedback, I make noise. But any other button didn't give any feedback, only that C3. :smiley:

Might be something to do with pitch, c3 is not pitched all others are not the same so only c3 goes in feedback?

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

@OldHorn666 said:
    Yeah, but why only when I press that one button? That's the weird part. I mean, with other buttons, nothing. I know feedback, I make noise. But any other button didn't give any feedback, only that C3. :smiley:

If you turn the master up all the way you’ll likely get more noise/feedback on other notes as well. But the C3 is the only note that feeds the mic through unaltered. This is what causes typical feedback. The pitch shifting of other notes prevents this (somewhat)

Yeah, I'm sorry. I feel so dumb right now. I need some sleep. But thank you so much for your answers. Hopefully there's nothing wrong with my Deluge. :smiley: