Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Map MIDI manually -- not by »Learn«?

GasherGasher TiefenbrunnPosts: 9

Hey,

I have a Deluge and want to controll 4 different MIDI parameters with the Expressive E (MIDI controller). It's not easy (impossible) to map this by using the Learn-knob. I can tell the Expressive E to send defined CC-commands.

How can I tell the Deluge manually: CC1 should control parameter 1, CC2 should control parameter 2 ... etc.

Gasher

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

That’s not how the deluge works. You need to use learn to map parameters to your controller.
    MPE support is planned for firmware 3.2, which should be coming soon :-)

... but the Learn-function doesn't work in my case and MPE is fine, but won't solve the problem ... so ... no workaround or whatsoever? The 400$-MIDI-controller Expressive E Touche is not functioning with the Deluge? That's disappointing.

A kind of workaround would be to have several hardware presets that contain only one MIDI parameter. Map each parameter individually, then switch to a hardware preset that uses all four. I've never done this with the Deluge, but this technique has worked with other software with my Sensel Morph.

@Gasher said:
    ... but the Learn-function doesn't work in my case and MPE is fine, but won't solve the problem ... so ... no workaround or whatsoever? The 400$-MIDI-controller Expressive E Touche is not functioning with the Deluge? That's disappointing.

A workaround that might work is learning CCs from a MIDI clip.
    First hookup a MIDI cable from deluge’s output to its input. (Make sure sync is off)
    Create a MIDI clip set to the same channel as Touché.
    Set one of the gold knobs to a CC you’d like to map. Record some automation in the clip with the knob.
    Now go to the synth clip you want to control and go to the shortcut of the parameter you want to map. Press play, then hold the learn button.
    This should map the desired CC to the parameter you want.

@Too_Mere said:

@Gasher said:

A workaround that might work is learning CCs from a MIDI clip.
    First hookup a MIDI cable from deluge’s output to its input. (Make sure sync is off)
    Create a MIDI clip set to the same channel as Touché.
    Set one of the gold knobs to a CC you’d like to map. Record some automation in the clip with the knob.
    Now go to the synth clip you want to control and go to the shortcut of the parameter you want to map. Press play, then hold the learn button.
    This should map the desired CC to the parameter you want.

That sounds kind of ridicolous, but -- I think this could work! Thank you, I will definetly try this!

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

@Gasher... is what you want to control parameters of a Deluge synth voice from the E? That should be easy.

Pull up the parameter you want to assign, say LPF cutoff, like you were going to edit it -- with shift and the grid shortcut in the synth patch Then hold learn and wiggle the relevant MIDI controller. It will say "Learn" and flash. Then you're done.

You can also do this with the modulation strengths as well, so if you have pitch on an LFO (vibrato), you can hold learn and assign that modulation depth to a CC so that you can control vibrato amount.

Do I misunderstand? (I still don't think I see what Too_Mere's solution does, which makes me nervous b/c he knows a lot more about the Deluge than I do...)

@hexagon5un said:

Do I misunderstand? (I still don't think I see what Too_Mere's solution does, which makes me nervous b/c he knows a lot more about the Deluge than I do...)

Connecting the deluge MIDI output to its own input is a trick I’ve seen used for a few interesting ideas. This would be the only way I know to assign a CC value to a parameter without using the controller.
    I’m unfamiliar with the E so not sure if some aspect would make it difficult to isolate a single CC being sent for MIDI learning.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@Too_Mere said:

@hexagon5un said:

Connecting the deluge MIDI output to its own input is a trick I’ve seen used for a few interesting ideas. This would be the only way I know to assign a CC value to a parameter without using the controller.
    I’m unfamiliar with the E so not sure if some aspect would make it difficult to isolate a single CC being sent for MIDI learning.

Could just use a different controller with the same CC's to do the learns and then save it to use with the other one!

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

@Icoustik said:

@Too_Mere said:

@hexagon5un said:

Could just use a different controller with the same CC's to do the learns and then save it to use with the other one!

Yeah as long as they have another controller, that might be easiest.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

@Too_Mere said:

@hexagon5un said:

That's probably it. It's a multi-dimensional controller, and it could easily be hard to send one axis without sending the other. I get it now.

Now Too_Mere's solution with the Deluge loopback makes sense, but Icoustik's solution of just grabbing some gear that can send individual CCs is probably the easiest, if you have other gear.

Or you could plug it up to a computer and send the CC/channel control that way if you have a software sequencer or keyboard emulator or...

And since this is all possibly a bit of a pain in the butt, you could certainly look into the song's XML file and find the lines that do the controller assignment, and copy them to other songs instead of doing this whole dance. (I understand that XML sounds intimidating to non-computer folks, but really, have a look, it's not so bad -- it's all in almost plain english.)

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@hexagon5un said:

And since this is all possibly a bit of a pain in the butt, you could certainly look into the song's XML file and find the lines that do the controller assignment, and copy them to other songs instead of doing this whole dance. (I understand that XML sounds intimidating to non-computer folks, but really, have a look, it's not so bad -- it's all in almost plain english.)

Its true, XML is pretty straightforward!

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ