Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

MIDI implementation??? (CC11-- expression volume)

workergrayworkergray Gulfport, FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 222

Each trach has a master volume which I assume is CC7. In general midi there is another volume control-- CC11-- expression. Is this implemented on the deluge? If I want to control it from an external controller, how would I "learn" it? I know with regular volume I'd just learn that knob, but I'm not sure what control relates to expression, if any.

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017
    edited March 2021

There's no standard MIDI CC implementation on the Deluge - it all has to be 'learned'. You can use whatever CC you like.
    Expression is simply just a separate volume control for exactly that - expression - after the general volume ceiling is set with the master volume control.
    You could for example use CC7 for master volume of the clip in question, and CC11 or any other to control OSC volume to act as expression.

The current limitation with the Deluge in this context is that if you for example control master volume with CC7, and then also learn CC11 to master volume as well, it could work nicely as expression if this range didn't exceed the threshold set by the volume CC, but it does.
    Hence the usage of OSC volume for expression instead, to keep them separate. But the limitation applies there as well - if you set the OSC vol at a certain level which is good in terms of general mix, then when you use the expression control you'll potentially exceed that max threshold and won't 'spring back' there when you release the expression control.

The best workaround is to set the max range of the expression CC output on the controller in question to what matches the desired level on the Deluge's OSC volume setting.

So to recap, its e.g. CC7 > learned to volume (not necessary for the expression part though, just if you'd like)
    and e.g. CC11 > OSC volume (1 or 2 or both or whatever),
    optionally with the CC11 max range set to be at the level you set your OSC volume on - which would be in terms of mixing purposes; general volume and especially setting to stay below the master headroom i.e. not cause internal clipping at max velocity. And also, OSC volume affects the amount of drive when going 'into' the drive filter, the analog delay and the saturation effect.
    (For clarity - if you set e.g. a synth's OSC volume to max while using drive filter/ analog delay/ saturation, and play with high velocity, you'll get more drive/ distortion than might be preferable, so you turn down the OSC vol,
    and then you can make the expression CC range accommodate that as mentioned)

:)

Post edited by Icoustik on

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

I'll echo that the MIDI implementation on the Deluge really does well when the controller can define a range of CC values. I've found that most parameters on the Deluge don't like being going from 0 to 100%

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@Affectionate_Bee_781 said:
    I'll echo that the MIDI implementation on the Deluge really does well when the controller can define a range of CC values. I've found that most parameters on the Deluge don't like being going from 0 to 100%

True

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ