β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Sample pitch detection

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

So Im creating a multisample patch with samples that are not recognized by the auto pitch detection. The manual states:
"Some .wav and .aiff files contain tags explicitly stating what note the file contains a sample of. Where these tags are present, they will override the Deluge’s own pitch detection."
Can I get some insight on how to tag the wav file so its correctly tagged?

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

You can use for example EndlessWAV, available here for free: https://bjoernbojahr.de/endlesswav.html

You'll be able to batch-insert note tags with this, based on the filenames, i.e. if the note names or numbers are in the filenames.

~ Distinguished Delugate α••( β—Ž_β—Ž)α•—

Drop files into the bottom field, and if there are note tags already present, they'll show up under "Root Key".
    Click "Rename/ Root" key to insert tags. In the middle section, select either "Read from file name" (select a part of filenames to take note names/numbers from) or "Read end of file name" to detect note names/numbers from the last part of filenames.
    Lemme know if you need more specific help with that after checking it out :)

edited March 2021

Oh, crap. Looks like the antivirus on my machine sees it as a threat and is not letting me run it. And this is a work PC and i cant turn the antivirus off lol.

Update: Im working on to whitelist it with our tech guy.

Post edited by volsteh on

edited March 2021

Ok, i managed to get a hold of a laptop and loaded EndlessWAV with the samples. The samples in question are exported from MPC Beats and it seems they already have root notes in the headers. When I open them all the root notes are already there so i tried the optimize structure option with no luck, when i load the samples the deluge just maps one sample from bottom to c1, one from c1-c2 and one from c2 to top...

SO im thinking, maybe this is not the tag/thing the deluge is expecting to read?

@volsteh said:
    Ok, i managed to get a hold of a laptop and loaded EndlessWAV with the samples. The samples in question are exported from MPC Beats and it seems they already have root notes in the headers. When I open them all the root notes are already there so i tried the optimize structure option with no luck, when i load the samples the deluge just maps one sample from bottom to c1, one from c1-c2 and one from c2 to top...

SO im thinking, maybe this is not the tag/thing the deluge is expecting to read?

Does the files have the correct root key note tags you say? Corresponding to their actual pitch?
    And, does the folder of samples contain multiple files with the same notes/ more than one set of samples for one instrument?

Yes, EndlessWAV shows root notes in the key section. The files actually don't have pitches, its a sampled Vital synth guitar-sample-wave-forward-backward-random-thingy. That is why deluge cant auto detect them and i thought that with tagging them I could load them in the order i exported them. My plan was to load one set in osc1 and a second, modified, in osc2.

Here are the samples:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sV4lg9A9YvDROrPsv8UGuaglDFDt7OHD?usp=sharing

If they actually have correct wav tags inserted then this should indeed override the pitch detection entirely.
    If you have two sets in that folder for osc1 and 2, you gotta put those sets in 2 separate folders, and then 'folder-load' em independently if you get what I mean :)

I got them setup in different folders yes. Im starting to think these are not the tags deluge expects. Any chance @rohan or @Ian_Jorgensen can clarify how to tag samples so the Deluge’s own pitch detection is overridden?

@volsteh said:
    I got them setup in different folders yes. Im starting to think these are not the tags deluge expects. Any chance @rohan or @Ian_Jorgensen can clarify how to tag samples so the Deluge’s own pitch detection is overridden?

I've looked at the files, those ARE the correct tags. The reason they mess up is because the combination of the filenames + the fact that the pitches are all over the place and there are multiples of the same pitch (although deliberately, I presume) simply confuses your Delly :)
    I've fixed the files/ filenames, here, it works now it seems: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vjnol2ixs_TK_EDiZdnaMo9PE4KMIQfM/view?usp=sharing

Just bulk-rename your files (e.g. Bulk Rename Utility is free), remove all characters and numbers except the note numbers/ names.

edited March 2021

Oh, right, i did some testing, looks like it doesn't like repeating words in filenames. It works if the files are just numbered and if are just named by notes (as long as are tagged). Thanks for helping out get to the bottom of this @Icoustik ! Think this multisample workflow could be also great for drumkits, so you can have every drum sound transposed across several notes!

:)