Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

battery powered usb hub

janbertjanbert VancouverPosts: 35

Hi.

I was just wondering if anyone tried already connecting a midi keyboard via a powered/battery powered usb hub without using the deluge power connector?
In theory the deluge can`t handle a usb connection when just battery powered, but what if the the usb connection is already powered via the usb hub? Would I still need the deluge power connection? Or could it cause problems when connecting both?

Thanks
Jan

Comments

ceetronicceetronic Chepstow, South Wales, UKBeta Tester Posts: 62

Hi Jan,
    I do this all the time via a Raspberry Pi. The Pi is running as a USB MIDI hub with my keyboard and Deluge powered of it. The Pi is powered by mains in this instance.

I don't use a Deluge power connector.

edited February 2021

Ah thats great to know. thanks :)
    I am just wondering, why are you using the Pi and not an ordinary powered usb hub?

Post edited by janbert on
    ceetronicceetronic Chepstow, South Wales, UKBeta Tester Posts: 62
    edited February 2021

Hi Jan,
    I use it as a MIDI host controller. So that I can plug in any USB controller or synth into the Pi and the Deluge can immediately interface with it. As long as it's supported.

There's no other reason other than the Pi was under my desk already and I don't own a USB hub. Also to get the Pi to act as a MIDI hub was fairly trivial.

I assume if you use a powered USB hub you will essentially be using the Deluge as a MIDI controller.

Post edited by ceetronic on
    armanarman CaliforniaPosts: 5
    edited March 2021

Hello Ceetronic,

Is this to say that, using a powered hub, the deluge can act as USB host to multiple devices simultaneously?

Post edited by arman on
    edited July 2021

Hi.
    It looks like I need to come back to my own post.

I am still not successful in attaching a midi keyboard but keep the deluge battery powered and portable.

I tried a (battery) powered usb hub but it looks like the deluge doesn't know how to handle an usb hub?

The other solution i thought will work is by getting a batteryPowered powerbank. The usb output says: QS 3.0 Output 5V/2.4A - 12V/1.5.
    Therefore I thought with an usb to dc power adaptor or cable i would be able to power the deluge and use a midi keyboard via usb.
    That doesnt seem to work as well because from what i understood the 5V/2.4A - 12V/1.5 output is normally receiving a signal from the device if it needs 12v or 5v. but with the usb to dc cable it can't really get this signal, which makes sense to me as well.
    Also even it would work. As soon as I use a powerbank via dc input for the deluge, wouldn't it bypass the deluges battery? But thats not what I want.
    All I want is giving the deluge this bit of extra power for a midi keyboard so that I can attach a midi keyboard when I am somewhere outside. I don't really think a midi keyboard needs that much power anyway, so in theory a really small powerbank would work. but if the deluge doesn`t understand an usb hub?

Now I am runnning out of ideas. How would I get a midi keyboard battery powered without buying an a battery powered midi keyboard. Any ideas?

Also I wonder in general how much it would impact Deluges battery power if it would give the usb output the needed power to run a midi keyboard. I would sacrifice a few hours for that :# But that's probably nothing which can be done via an softwareupdate I guess? Like a setting to give usb powersupply via deluge battery would be awesome though :#

broughtonfilmbroughtonfilm New YorkBeta Tester Posts: 69
    edited August 2021

The thing is, I don't want to connect a powered battery at the deluge power connector as I guess it will bypass the actual deluge battery. All i want is giving my midi keyboard enough usb power.
    I read in another forum that the usb hub shouldn`t be bigger then 4 ports. Therefore I bought a powered 4 port hub. It still doesn't work(the midi keyboard signals enough power), but oddly enough it works when I have the deluge power connector attached. Which means the deluge recognizes the usb hub but even a "powered(5v)" 4port hub is still not enough to get a simple midi keyboard running? That somehow doesn't really make sense to me. I am out of ideas :|

edited August 2021

@janbert said:
    The thing is, I don't want to connect a powered battery at the deluge power connector as I guess it will bypass the actual deluge battery. All i want is giving my midi keyboard enough usb power.
    I read in another forum that the usb hub shouldn`t be bigger then 4 ports. Therefore I bought a powered 4 port hub. It still doesn't work(the midi keyboard signals enough power), but oddly enough it works when I have the deluge power connector attached. Which means the deluge recognizes the usb hub but even a "powered(5v)" 4port hub is still not enough to get a simple midi keyboard running? That somehow doesn't really make sense to me. I am out of ideas :|

Just understand that it’s the Deluge that needs extra power to run as a MIDI host. It says it very clearly in the manual that USB power works only if Deluge is connected to the power source.

Also, per your earlier post, you wanted to use a different power bank to power Deluge but it didn’t work. How is that different from powering it with a 5V power bank via 5-to-9v adapter cable (other than that the latter actually works perfectly) ?

Below is the picture of such setup. Is that what you are after or am I missing something? The MPK is powered from Deluge’s USB output. There are no batteries in MPK (even if there were, the Deluge would still need the external power source to run as MIDI host). Everything works perfectly.

Post edited by broughtonfilm on
    rovargasrovargas SpainBeta Tester Posts: 12

@broughtonfilm said:

@janbert said:

Just understand that it’s the Deluge that needs extra power to run as a MIDI host. It says it very clearly in the manual that USB power works only if Deluge is connected to the power source.

Also, per your earlier post, you wanted to use a different power bank to power Deluge but it didn’t work. How is that different from powering it with a 5V power bank via 5-to-9v adapter cable (other than that the latter actually works perfectly) ?

Below is the picture of such setup. Is that what you are after or am I missing something? The MPK is powered from Deluge’s USB output. There are no batteries in MPK (even if there were, the Deluge would still need the external power source to run as MIDI host). Everything works perfectly.

I use the very same setup you mention but with Akai MPK mini Play that runs on its own battery. I can use it without the deluge nor the MPK being connected to the power (both run on their own battery).

edited August 2021

Double post.

I use the very same setup you mention but with Akai MPK mini Play that runs on its own battery. I can use it without the deluge nor the MPK being connected to the power (both run on their own battery).

Yes, but in the context of the OP’s question, batteries in the MPK don’t help in any way. The Deluge still needs to be powered externally in order to work as a MIDI host.

edited August 2021

Double post.