β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Using an external MIDI controllers mod/pitch wheel in clip automation

ceetronicceetronic Chepstow, South Wales, UKBeta Tester Posts: 62

Hello,
I'm a new and extremely proud Deluge owner with a question about using external MIDI controllers.

I was wondering if it is possible to use an ext. MIDI controller's mod/pitch wheel as an automation device within a clip or elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

yes it is, pitch works out of the box, mod you need to map to something

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

ceetronicceetronic Chepstow, South Wales, UKBeta Tester Posts: 62
    edited February 2021

Thanks for the quick response @volsteh.

From what you said I was able to work out what I needed to do next.

For those new to the Deluge (like me) I found this YouTube video by Rezzonator that explained the practicalities of what to do. Essentially you are controlling parameters of the Deluge using external controllers.

In my circumstances, I had an AFX Station (for mod/pitch wheel) and Presonus ATOM pad (for 16 drum pads and 4x misc knobs for frequency, resonance and eq).

I have all 3 devices going into a Raspberry Pi running as a MIDI thru host. So basically all 3 devices are powered and run MIDI to each other via the Raspberry Pi - See MIDI host on Raspberry Pi. I used the complete instructions link as I found it easier to follow with an existing Raspberry Pi setup.

If you have controllers directly connected to the Deluge you don't need the above step.

Anyway, back to the setup. Here I will describe what I did to get the AFX Station Mod wheel working.

• Load a song and go to clip view
    • Select MIDI on the Deluge to check the MIDI channel is set to 1 (Note: My AFX Station was set to MIDI channel 1 by default)
    • Select SYNTH on the Deluge
    • Then, press SHIFT and the FREQUENCY pad (8 from right, top row) - (Note: The FREQ pad then flashes white)
    • Hold FREQ and LEARN and then jog the Mod wheel on the AFX Station

The display on the Deluge will say LEARN if this is successful. I then pressed play on the clip and jogged the Mod wheel for maximum fun!

From here I was able to setup the ATOM controller in a similar fashion. Mapping the knobs to whatever parameter I liked on the Deluge (within reason) and also configuring the 16 pads on the ATOM to a Deluge kit. This involved slightly different steps to setup MIDI as the ATOM uses MIDI 10 for the 16 pads and MIDI 4 for the 4x knobs by default.

To help the Deluge learn the 16 pads of the ATOM against a kit I needed to MIDI LEARN each AUDITION pad on the Deluge against a pad on the ATOM.

• First off, pressing MIDI on the Deluge and selecting channel 10 (the ATOM pads are on MIDI channel 10)
    • Press Kit
    • Hold AUDITION pad 1 + LEARN and pressing ATOM pad 1
    • Hold AUDITION pad 2 + LEARN and pressing ATOM pad 2
    • Repeat to fade!

Hope this helps someone else in a similar predicament!

Post edited by ceetronic on