Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

USB Foot Controller fails to work consistently

I own one of the official USB MIDI Foot Controllers and I can't seem to get it to work consistently. When I do manage to get it to work, it inevitably stops working (the button on the controller lights up and stays lit for a few seconds, but the Deluge doesn't register the MIDI command).

So far the only consistent way I've been able to successfully connect the controller is by first hitting Play on the Deluge, and then connecting the USB cable... however it will randomly stop working some time after that.

I've plugged the controller directly into my PC and used MIDI-OX to monitor the input. So far it works 100% of the time and I can see the MIDI notes coming through. At this point I'm not sure if it's a problem with the Deluge or the controller.

Has anyone else ran into this issue?

Comments

p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111

Hmm. I've got one too and haven't had any issues, but haven't used it in a little bit. I can check later.

flironfliron GermanyPosts: 4
    edited December 2020

Hi, i have the exact same problem and I just came to the forum to ask the same question. I've got it working by using my laptop as MIDI host, with MIDI OX sending the output from the foot controller to the deluge. If connected directly, it will randomly stop working. I have updated to the most recent firmware, but it didn't help. It is pretty frustrating to be honest :(

Edit: Still, I wanted to add that I am very happy with my Deluge and think that the people working on it do an amazing job :)

Post edited by fliron on
    edited December 2020

I spent some time with mine the other night and didn't have any issues (MIDI footswitch connected directly to the Deluge. Deluge powered by a USB brick). I had it set to record new loops, undo and was using 2 of the switches to toggle between different song sections. Didn't have any problems.

I assume you're both connecting the Deluge to power when you're also using the MIDI footswitch?

Post edited by p_wats on

Yes I am connecting the deluge to 9v power. What voltage do you use? On reddit, several people reported the same issue. At the moment, my foot controller is mostly a paper weight ...

@fliron said:
    Yes I am connecting the deluge to 9v power. What voltage do you use? On reddit, several people reported the same issue. At the moment, my foot controller is mostly a paper weight ...

I used it the other night powered by a USB brick with a usb-to-12v adapter. Worked fine.

And you "learned" each switch to do something on the pedal?

pmoneypmoney USAPosts: 5

I spent some time with my friends trying to debug the issue and we found a way to consistently reproduce it.

It seems that after a period of inactivity, the foot controller stops working. After about a minute of not pressing anything on the Deluge or foot controller it stopped functioning.

Between the four of us we have 4 Deluges and 3 foot controllers, and we were not able to find a combination where it wouldn't break. I'll make a video of the issue when I get home!

Video reproducing the issue:

SdconvoySdconvoy United StatesPosts: 3

Chiming in to say I experience the same thing, making the foot controller unreliable for use

Hi there, have any of you been able to solve this issue? I would rejoice at a word from the team on this :)

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165
    edited January 2021

@ pmoney- Thanks for posting the video. I don't wish bugs on anyone, and I have no intention of following up on this, but at least now I feel validated. I've given up on looping and using the footswitch. I thought the looping implementation in the Deluge was just broken. So it's the footswitch, you think?

This bug made me crazy. Someone at GS posted that when you look up the word "tedious" in the dictionary there is a picture of someone trying to loop with their Deluge and I relate to that.

Anyway, good luck sorting this one out. Deluge version 3 was a big money suck for me (footswitch, new top panel, tech to replace the panel). I regret it.

Post edited by pfrf on

UPDATE: I reached out to @Ian_Jorgensen and he said that the team was working on the issue. I don't have any more info but it seems like they have at least acknowledged there is an issue.

In other news: I bought a UMI3 to try (https://www.logidy.com/umi3) and unfortunately have a similar issue. The Deluge in this case does not recognize the device at all (the USB light says lit indicating it is stuck in enumeration mode or something). It works fine on my other devices however. I had high hopes for this controller because it is fully programmable and can send midi note data just like the official foot controller.

I feel like there are a few bugs still that need to be worked out in the Deluge's USB host implementation...

Hey, thanks for the update! It's a small team with lots to do, so it is good to know that the issue is at least known and they are working on it.

nikpalmernikpalmer VancouverBeta Tester Posts: 11

Yeah I've sort of given up on mine thinking that I just couldn't figure out the looping system correctly. It would just not do the same thing repeatably. However I recently was testing the looping without the footswitch i couldn't find where I had left it) and released that it's not the looping system as that did what I expected, so i guess it's the footswitch. Still love the Deluge though, it's everything to be honest.

neddycgoonneddycgoon New ZealandPosts: 21
    edited April 2021

Im on the list for a deluge footswitch...Been over 6 months with no footswitch yet lol.....Just a question for you guys and gals that have the footswitch as Im not sure if it will do what I want....I want to end a live loop recording with a footswitch tap rather than hit the track button while recording a live track as I quite often miss the button in the milliseconds I sometimes have to press it lol
    EDIT: My footswitch turned up and just to answer my own question as nobody seemed to know the answer is yes you can signal a live recording loop to end with the footswitch....yay

Post edited by neddycgoon on
    Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

If anyone is experiencing this issue with their pedal, or ever any issues with your Deluge, please get in touch with us!
    ian@synthstrom.com

blassnerblassner USAPosts: 5

Does anyone know if Synthstrom is still shipping their own loop pedals? I bought mine, mostly to layer midi and drum tracks over my guitar loops, and really want a working pedal loop set up. I tried the Logidy UMI3 with no luck. The Empress Zoia pedal works great, but unfortunately, its my main effects pedal, and it seems like waste to use it just as a looper. I've heard the Morningstar pedals work, but their kind of pricey. I'll probably hold off if official pedals are still being shipped, or if anyone is aware of a better alternative.

pfrfpfrf ca, u.s.a.Posts: 165

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    If anyone is experiencing this issue with their pedal, or ever any issues with your Deluge, please get in touch with us!
    ian@synthstrom.com

Is Synthstrom working on the problem with the USB pedal?
    There is video reproducing the issue. What have you found out?

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

Is Synthstrom working on the problem with the USB pedal?
    There is video reproducing the issue. What have you found out?

Some pedals from a small batch we believe have a firmware issue that we can resolve, but users will need to reach out to us as its only a small number of people who will have that issue too, but yes, a small number of pedals will have an issue

TeslianCowboyTeslianCowboy United StatesPosts: 12

I was having a similar issue, but only when using a USB hub. Glad to know I'm not the only one, as I just gave up using it altogether.