Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Record multiple clips live into arranger via "Punch in / Punch Out" w/o deleleting what's after it

deep_transmissionsdeep_transmissions NYCPosts: 11
edited October 2020 in Deluge Software Suggestions

Before I say anything, this box has completely rocked my world. I have a studio full of drum machines and synths and vintage mics, a whole mix rack I built myself, 1176 rev D compressor, preamps from CAPI, an SSL bus compressor, etc. I feel like this machine just blew up my whole world in the most amazing inspiring way. My buddy was raving about this a few months ago and I just had to get one. Running the deluge through the SSL compressor, CAPI preamps, elysia Karacter and out of my APS klasik monitors, once I got the gain staging on the inputs and outputs right I was really blown away. I'd love to see us bump up recording to 48k, and I think the AD/DA is a tad bright, but that's a discussion for another day. Here's what's really got me stuck...

I'm moving over to the deluge from Ableton, but there's what I'd consider a super essential feature for advanced song making missing, and its kind of a dealbreaker for me. I'm not going to not use the deluge, but until this is introduced, I'll probably be be recording into ableton's arranger view instead of the deluge when it's time to really finish a song.

Currently when live (realtime) recording from song to arranger,everything after my recording insert point in the arranger is removed automatically, an entire song. Bummer! But many producers and musicians as they have for many years use a process for multitrack audio where when we find a sweet spot between multiple tracks well capture that moment and insert it into a section if an arrangement at a soecific start and end point, where recording doesn't disrupt what's before it, and doesn't disrupt what's after it either.

My whole workflow is centered around this. Jam on many instruments live with sequences and improv and drums all coming form different machines, until I find a special moment and then capture it as a section of a song. Choose the in point (Punch In) and the out point (Punch Out), and record all tracks to that section.

This way I can go back to a song and create a complex intro or break in the middle, or maybe I find myself creating a new iteration of the 4th verse, so I select how many measures I want to use, create some space in the arrangement (as we can do currently) place the insert point in, record the new tracks in all at the same time, and it will stop at exactly the measure I tell it to stop and doesn't record over that point on to the material following it. This can be done in all DAWs defacto.

The way the Deluge handles recording from song into Arrangement currently it forces you to do this linearly meaning you have to start at the beginning and end at the end, and to me something as flexible as the deluge that seems to defeat the whole concept of something that allows you when you feel inspired to record what inspires you in that moment. We never know when inspiration will hit, sometimes I find the end of my song is th ebest part, so I'll want to re-record that section into the beginning. Currently this can only be done by dragging in clips from the song view and it's really tedius and kind of contrary to the "free" feeling the deluge has, which I really love!

But currently you can't put anything before anything it has to go after everything. This is such a big deal and I know so many producers who composed music this way all the way up the food chain to people putting out tons and tons of Records. I don't consider myself a big artist but I've got about eight records out now and a lot of songs I probably make 30 or 40 songs a year total and this is really critical to my workflow. I'm really ready to go full-on into the deluge environment in fact I've already moved everything out of the way so that the Deluge can be right in the middle of my studio, and I'm running 13 synths and samplers with a mix of gate CV MIDI all controlling my studio and it's really working flawlessly. I absolutely love it. But this punch in Punch-Out feature really really to me seems necessary and I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

It's so rare that a "magic" moment happens across multiple machines and sounds. This is something I always capture immediately because that moment is so fleeting, to try and build it with clips ... well it just gets lost most of the time. And it's these magic moments that really are the foundation of my best songs. Fingers crossed!

Post edited by deep_transmissions on

Comments

Seconded! I spent some time recording a minute long vocal tonight. I almost had it perfect after my third take, but I notice one phrase near the beginning was slightly off. I'd love the ability to punch in/punch out over a loop or recorded sample to fix a problem or add a fill.