Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Allow negative values for user-assigned parameters via the gold knobs

Being able to assign various parameters to the gold knobs is great, but it would be even better if the parameters assigned there could go into negative values as well (like they can when editing via the menu/grid shortcuts).

For example, I've got a synth patch where the rate of LFO2 is modulated by ENV2. Assigning this modulation point to a custom knob is great, as I can adjust it on the fly, but it will only adjust in the positive range. I can start with a negative value (if the patch load state beings that way, for example), but once I cross into the positive threshold I can't go back when using the assigned gold parameter knob, even though I can when using the menu with the select knob.

This would open up some nice quick performance/sound design options.

(I didn't see this topic via a quick search of the forum, but let me know if I've missed a different thread I could upvote instead!)

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Yeah. For mer, it would deserve to get treated as a minor bug as it breaks UX consistency. Not really a bug, I guess, and there is a workaround using pitchbend to control bipolar ranges.

p_watsp_wats TorontoPosts: 111

@amiga909 said:
    Yeah. For mer, it would deserve to get treated as a minor bug as it breaks UX consistency. Not really a bug, I guess, and there is a workaround using pitchbend to control bipolar ranges.

Ah, interesting. Though the pitchbend workaround only works if you're using an external MIDI controller, I guess?

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@p_wats said:

@amiga909 said:

Ah, interesting. Though the pitchbend workaround only works if you're using an external MIDI controller, I guess?

Yes. It is possible to use a Midi track like an external controller, like here
    but it is a hack and has caveats.

rczrcz NYBeta Tester Posts: 111
    edited October 2020

think you can do this if you run the deluge's midi out back to its in and use a midi clip to control an internal synth.

Post edited by rcz on
    Ry_n_IRy_n_I Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 14

Yes, I agree that this would be a good additional possibility. Is it currently possible to access negative values with a midi controller?