Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Piano Roll for Kit Instruments

It would be great to be able to enter piano roll notes for instruments in a Kit Clip. In this way you could put together a mini arrangement in a Kit Clip, and then be able to drop that Kit Clip into the Arranger. It would streamline and simplify the Arranger, as you'd be able to put together quite complexed multilayered sequences of drums, synths, and samples in a Kit Clip instead of having to use several rows of Synth Clips in the Arranger to achieve the same result. This would make the Arranger screen so much less cluttered, and would make it very easy to move around what would essentially be entire arrangements contained within Kit Clips, meaning that you'd have an awful lot more control over the structure of your song in the Arranger.

The way it could be implemented would be to click on the clip button a second time. The clip button would then flash, and open a piano roll for the currently selected instrument/sample in the kit. Then to get out of piano roll, you'd just press clip again and the clip button would stop flashing, and you'd be out of piano roll and back to the ordinary Kit Clip. Similar in the way you go from Song Mode to Arranger Mode. I've no idea how easy or hard this would be to implement. I can understand that polyphonic lines might be harder to implement than monophonic lines.

If you combine this with the ability to name, save, and load clips (Audio, Synth, Kit) then it would make the Deluge an even more versatile instrument, where you'd essentially be able to load a Kit Clip with a whole load of piano roll data, and simply and easily drop it into your existing song/arrangement.

I really hope that the developer takes on this idea, because I can't tell you how much this would increase my enjoyment and streamline my workflow when using this great piece of kit!

Comments

John_DriverJohn_Driver EnglandPosts: 7

Another thing that sprung to mind when I thought about this idea a bit longer, is that if it was implemented then there would be a possibility of tranferring all the data from the arranger directly back into a new Kit. Which would be great for building up complex song structures. Essentially the code would have to go through every synth, audio clip, and kit in the arranger line by line, and add each synth, audio clip, and Kit instrument to the new Kit with the piano roll and effects for each instrument/sample. I know it would probably be a lot of work, but it would make the Deluge a monumental sequencer/workstation and propel it into a league of its own.

The way this could be accessed by the front panel would be that - when you were in Arranger Mode - you'd press the Kit button and the Song button at the same time, and this would then create a new kit with all the Arranger data and instruments in it, and mute the rest of the tracks in the arranger.