Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

V3.1 Bug with Note Repeat

neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

@rohan

There seems to be a bug with the new Note Repeat feature. If you place a note and then extend it so that it's longer than one grid pad, when you appy Note Repeat the note gets truncated to one grid pad and the note repeating takes place over one grid pad (or the current grid division) instead of repeating over the length of the original note.

Comments

BenBen Albuquerque, NM, USABeta Tester Posts: 7
    edited June 2020

I’d like to confirm this, as well as point out that the new Note Repeat feature simply refuses to work on notes longer than 16th notes, even when zoomed out far enough for them to only take up one grid pad - I tested this by making a pattern 2 bars long, zooming out, applying note repeat on an 8th note, and zooming back in: the note was shortened to a 16th note and then subdivided with note repeat.

EDIT: I must have done this weird this first time, because I was able to zoom out and properly use note repeat across an 8th note when I tried again today.

Post edited by Ben on
    rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Sorry, this is how it's intended to work. No repeat occurs within the width of one pad at the current zoom level, regardless of the length of the note previously created there.

@rohan said:
    Sorry, this is how it's intended to work. No repeat occurs within the width of one pad at the current zoom level, regardless of the length of the note previously created there.

Ah, good to have some light shed on this, and that does make sense.

So the only way to, say, use note repeat on an 8th note is to make a pattern two bars, then zoom out, then apply note repeat?

rohanrohan Staff Posts: 590

Yes - or you could do it on two consecutive 16th-notes :)

@rohan said:

Ah, I was thinking of dividing into odd numbers, so that wouldn’t work in my case.

Thanks for the update, by the way! It dropped just a few days after my Deluge was delivered, which was very exciting.

Thanks for the feedback Rohan.

@rohan said:

This wouldn't achieve the same result though. If you wanted a note to repeat 3 times over, say, an 8th note (two pads), if you place two 16th notes consecutively and set them to Note Repeat 3 you'll get 6 repeats over the two pads, not 3.

Would you consider changing it so that it does actually divide the length of the note by the number of repeats to determine the length of each repeat? It would be 100% more musically useful that way, you could easily create some amazingly complex polyrythms etc. It would not alter the functionality of setting repeats for a note that only spanned a single pad.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited June 2020

Stepped in the same trap at first :)
    For me it is also how terms are coined. I understand it now as "Flam" function like many drum machine sequencers have (TR909), for me "Note Repeat" is rather associated with how it works on a MPC or PadKontrol.
    Of course it is more than "Flam" on a 909, more control and possible to fine edit on the D.

Post edited by amiga909 on

@amiga909 said:
    Stepped in the same trap at first :)
    For me it is also how terms are coined. I understand it now as "Flam" function like many drum machine sequencers have (TR909), for me "Note Repeat" is rather associated with how it works on a MPC or PadKontrol.
    Of course it is more than "Flam" on a 909, more control and possible to fine edit on the D.

True but it would be far, far more useful if it timed the repeats over the length of a note.

Digging a bit deeper I can see now how it's implemented. When you set a repeat value it actually inserts new notes into the sequence rather than being a parameter of your original note. Again this seems a bit baffling to me as you can sort of already do that by zooming in and/or adding triplets. If the note repeat was a true note repeat it would be really fucking cool as you could do accelerating/decelerating ratchet type stuff combining different note lengths with different repeat settings.

Mr_ForkMr_Fork North DakotaPosts: 59
    edited June 2020

This makes a lot more sense now. Based on the manual "The value selected will determine the number of repeats to assign to the selected note, positioned equally in the time interval of the pad". I don't think I understood that "interval of the pad" meant a single note instance at the current grid resolution.

What @amiga909 said makes sense. I was thinking of note repeat more more along the lines of the functionality you would see in Maschine or on an MPC. If I want to make a bar of 16th notes for something like a shaker I'm probably better off just entering them right in or using cross screen.

Post edited by Mr_Fork on
    amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

related to this, I made a vid:

@amiga909 said:
    related to this, I made a vid:

That's a great little trick! :smiley: