Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Midi Sidechaining

sojacalciumsojacalcium FranceBeta Tester Posts: 10

Hi,
I'm trying to use midi notes as a sidechain source. Does anyone know of a way? Midi clips and midi'd kits don't seem to offer send options.
In my specific case I'm controlling an external drum machine, and want audio clips in the Deluge to volume-duck every time the kick of the drum machine is triggered.

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

the sidechain source already are midi notes. the behavior you describe is how it actually works.
    took me a while to get that, the sidechain compressor does not have an audio envelope follower.
    try this: have a kick as sidechain source. apply some sidechain mod somewhere. replace the kick sample with an empty sample or just turn down the Volume knob. the sidechain mod does not change.

Thanks for your response. I may not be explaining this properly. Here's an example:
    1. Song with two clips, one is of type "kit" with a kick, the other is of type "synth". If the synth clip has its sidechain parameter up, the sounds ducks on each kick, as expected.
    2. now change the kit clip to a MIDI clip. The sidechain compression stops working.

ah, yeah only works in kits. this also took me some time to get :) also. samples with kick in their name are auto set (check sidechain send param) but u can have any kit row as sidechain source. yeah, they could add sidechain send to all instrument types. guess it is because sidechain source mod has to be mono.

SiccaViccASiccaViccA OsakaPosts: 68

@amiga909 said:
    ah, yeah only works in kits. this also took me some time to get :) also. samples with kick in their name are auto set (check sidechain send param) but u can have any kit row as sidechain source. yeah, they could add sidechain send to all instrument types. guess it is because sidechain source mod has to be mono.

thank some great info in here ..

Well at least I found a workaround. If I create a regular kit and program say the kick pattern and bring its volume down, all I have to do is to create an extra "lane" right below and have it trigger the right midi note (in my case I'm triggering EZdrummer's kick). So one's a dummy kick and one's the real one. An existing midi clip can also be converted to a kit and modified in the same way.

Of course it's a bit silly to have to do this, but it's pretty quick to do and allows for the sidechain to be triggered by any external drum machine, via this "proxy" method. Probably something that should be added to the manual - I can't be the only person trying to use an external drum machine without losing sidechaining.

@sojacalcium said:
    Well at least I found a workaround. If I create a regular kit and program say the kick pattern and bring its volume down, all I have to do is to create an extra "lane" right below and have it trigger the right midi note (in my case I'm triggering EZdrummer's kick). So one's a dummy kick and one's the real one. An existing midi clip can also be converted to a kit and modified in the same way.

Of course it's a bit silly to have to do this, but it's pretty quick to do and allows for the sidechain to be triggered by any external drum machine, via this "proxy" method. Probably something that should be added to the manual - I can't be the only person trying to use an external drum machine without losing sidechaining.

good point the manual could be more helpful regarding sidechaining.
    i think i dont get yet what you do. you copy notes from a a midi clip (or a midi row in Kit mode) to a sample Kit row? extra "lane" = Kit row? so the silent sample Kit row is the sidechain source?

edited February 2020

Yes you go it I think. Specifically I:
    1. create a kit.
    2. add a row/lane at the bottom
    3. make that row send a midi note to my real, external kick (in my case, to my drumming vst on my pc)
    4. bring the volume all the way down of the default kick row right above
    --- that's it for the setup part. I made this into a template but it only takes 30s to reproduce.

As for the actual use, I simply program the real kick's pattern, except, I press 2 pads at once everytime: one on the real kick's row, one on the fake one (with middle and index fingers).

Post edited by sojacalcium on
    edited March 2021

thanks. yeah, the initial thread suggestion for midified kits would fit in nicely here.

Post edited by amiga909 on