Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Ability to change to 1/8th or 1/4 note timing on a blank track

MyrkMyrk Bristol, UKPosts: 93

Title describes itself! Not sure why it is locked to 16ths and can only go to 8ths or 4ths when you expand the track past the 16th length. Would be VERY useful to allow it to go straight to 1/8 or 1/4 view to allow long slow sections to be programmed in very quickly.

Comments

workergrayworkergray Gulfport, FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 222
    edited August 2017

To get 8ths or 4ths, you just use every other note or every 4th note in the 16th view-- if I get what you're saying.

Post edited by workergray on
    edited August 2017

Yer true, but if I want an 8 bar sequence of long slow notes, which is very often the case when making pad lines or big chords, it would be nice just to jump straight to 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, or even 1 bar time and plug them in, rather than extending the track length then zooming out... I guess it can be easily worked around, but would seem way more logical to just let people zoom out to any degree on a blank track. It's no game changer, and I'm no coder but I imagine it would be a very quick and simple fix? I also don't think this addition would have any negative effect to existing workflows or other users who don't do this.

Post edited by Myrk on
    rpc9943rpc9943 New York usaBeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 184
    edited August 2017

Ah you mean - to have a remember "last note length"? Would be awesome

Post edited by rpc9943 on
    edited August 2017

No I just think I should be able to instantly set the zoom mode to whatever length I want. It's kinda slow and counter-productive to make a tie note, then extend the sequence length, then make another note, and keep zooming out 1 bar at a time when I duplicate, rather than just zooming out to 1/1 mode before I've coded anything and just code in a 4 or 16 bar sequence of whole notes. The current workflow forces you to work on a 1/16th level by default, allowing 1/8th view only when you've made 2 bars, and 1/4 view only when you've made 4 bars. Allow 1/1 view zoom out on a blank track!

Post edited by Myrk on
    edited August 2017
    Yes I think it should be able to zoom out as far as you want. Do you know if you hold down <> knob it should adjust note length
    Post edited by rpc9943 on

You know you're right there... pushing in the knobs and dialing them whilst holding down a note should do something - 2 useful controls there!

Sorry it didn't save what I typed. To adjust note length hold down the left right knob if you need to draw past a screen, did you try that? I made a video on it

Oh yer I've done that, had to find it out to do off beat extensions between bars and from triplets extending over bars - very essential manouvre! My issue is more just allowing users to go straight to the punch of 1 bar or 1/4 bar notes, rather than starting purely on a 16th level and having to hold down shift and scroll add bars in the blind, losing track of how many bars I've created because of no readout from the screen to indicate bar number. On that issue it could be solved by the screen flashing "02.04" to show someone has scrolled to bar 2 of 4. Sure this sounds limited to 99 bars, but you can use full stops to imply additional bars. I doubt anyone in their right mind would create a 100 bar track though :P

edited August 2017

Double post, can't delete, sorry!

Post edited by Myrk on
    Yeah I posted very early on a request for visual cues it's badly needed in my opinion
    edited August 2017

Yer, and some of the visual cues are way too short! Like the scale mode - it flashes quickly 3 times, but I'm not quite adept at reading the deluges text format yet. "m" is an n with an overdash, etc. We need a deluge alphabet map in the manual lol! Somewhat curious why they only went for 4 digits on the screen rather than an LCD with a line or 2 of text?

Post edited by Myrk on
    TactileAFTactileAF Perth, Western AustraliaBeta Tester Posts: 22

On a new synth track, if you just press SHIFT+<> 'n' times it copies the blank page and zooms you straight out 'n' times so you can enter longer notes. Is this what OP means?

Agreed, a bar counter would be great.

@TactileAF awesome idea, and definitely speeds things up a bit! Cheers!

o0_o0_ SANTA MONICAPosts: 107

Mmmh. I think the original question/suggestion was the ability to zoom to a point where the entire track may be smaller than a full screen of 16 steps.

With the default track length of 1 bar, currently the largest zoom resolution is 16th notes. What @Myrk is asking for is the ability to zoom a 1 bar track to 8ths or bigger:

• 1 bar at 8th resolution: only 8 pads are available
    • 1 bar at 4th resolution: only 4 pads are available
    • 1 bar at 2nd resolution: only 2 pads are available
    • 1 bar at 1st ( whole ) resolution: 1 pad contains 1 bar

I guess another way to say this, is make the zoom work from 1 to 64th notes regardless of the track length.

(BTW why are markdown bullets and numbered lists completely ignored by this forum?!?)