Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

is it possible to record a kit track from external MIDI

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

is it possible to record a kit track from external MIDI?......at the moment I can´t see the solution

Comments

StGStG Posts: 1

I haven't been able to record directly into a kit track (the Deluge only seems to associate the MIDI input with a single sample). However, I have been able to record into a synth track and then simply switch to kit mode after recording (it retains the note values, but you may need to transpose if the mapping doesn't work for you). I also use this approach to develop a melody on the Deluge using it's internal synth engine, and then switch to MIDI mode to play back on an external synth.

Hope this helps.

Thx for the answer, so my suspicion is correct: It is not possible to get this groovy finger tapped rythm from my touch sensitive Ensoniq ASRX Pads (or from an E Drum even better) right in the DELUGE :(

Otherwise: You can assign every single sound of a KIT TRACK to a dedicated MIDI OUT...

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

Ensoniq ASR-X is such a cool sampler, Deluge could borrow some of the effects :)
    Well possible i dont get what you guys mean. If you have a Kit clip with samples and want to play and record all rows with an external midi controller, this is no problem at all.
    Guess your Kit track should not contain samples, instead it should midi trigger your ASR-X? Never tried a "Midi-Kit", means the kit rows are not samples, they output Midi only. Dont know about that right now. Most probably you could use a normal Midi clip.

"Deluge only seems to associate the MIDI input with a single sample". You can midi learn every kit row to a midi note. You have to midi learn them one by one though (unlike Synth mode where only one midi learn is required for notes). Maybe thats the confusion?

"every single sound of a KIT TRACK to a dedicated MIDI OUT" ?
    Deluge terminology, gets confusing for me otherwise: the term "track" was replaced by "clip". A single sound in a kit is referred as "kit row" in the manual. Kit instruments can contain samples (default), cv or midi.

Hello amiga - nice to see you in this discussion, got to mention that I really appreciate your spending time and work on the Deluge! You seem to be the outpost from Rohan in Europe!

yes I love the ASRX, it is sometimes a bit too old school but still worth workin with it:
    I have connected it to the Deluge as a MIDI Clock slave (MIDI IN/OUT in both directions (THRU=off): Now I can play and record (thx Midi Learn in Deluge) the Synth Clips from the ASRX hence it has 16 dedicated MIDI OUT tracks (because of it´s own sequencer, which is a pain...other story).
    Advantage: I can record into the Deluge with Velocity values, as I mentioned ASRX has touch sensitive pads.

Thx to your answer now I have MIDI learned every Kit row to a certain MIDI note and yes, it works and it´s velocity recorded. I wish I could even transfer the really great after record quantization features from the ASRX to the stuff I have just recorded to the Deluge.
    But anyway, this was the clue!

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

thanks for the 💐 @Eddy