Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Smart file management (doesn't lose samples on move/rename)

Situation:

Every sample pack that I upload to Deluge usually needs to be slightly edited for the ease of use on Deluge's small display. Some files renamed, some moved to subfolders, etc. This sometimes happens after I already tried using the sample pack and it wasn't quite convenient.

Currently, if the sample was moved or renamed, it disappears from all songs it was in (even though songs show its name). There is a way to avoid this behavior by using «Collect All» feature, but this basically makes you either do it for all songs and lose space on SD card for this redundancy or remember what songs have the samples you were planning to move/rename and do this for these songs only.

Possible solution:

Deluge should keep a configuration file with a list of files on card and their corresponding checksums/hashes. This file may be updated on device boot.

Every project internally should refer the file by its hash, not name and path. This way each file will be unique for Deluge even though they might have the same name just sitting in different folders (e.g. «BD_001»). Same way no matter how the file is moved or renamed, Deluge will recognize it by hash and remap to project, when its loaded.

This idea isn't quite new, that's exactly how Digitakt file system works. If I see a file not sounding after playing around with the card, I just put it back on the card anywhere and it reappears in corresponding projects.

Possible challenges:
- Duplicate files with same hash should be handled somehow (Just use first one found?)
- Keeping the hash db updated may need some resources