Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Drums patterns sequencing

I was wondering if you guys can lead me to drums sequencing tutorials, I love my Deluge but I’m struggling on the drums part, my drums sound flat and basic. I would like to learn more complex and neat drums for all genres but mainly for lofi and hip hop
thanks

Comments

DiamondEyesDiamondEyes Maidenhead, UKPosts: 39

Here's some 'homework' for you that might help with your drumming.

Google "fool in the rain john bonham" of led zep. You'll find lessons for this track on youtube (you'll learn about ghost notes etc) plus search the drum score sheet (google images) for the drums and fills. You can program in the drums parts as a little project. Think this is in 3/4 time so triplets view work work for this.

Thanks for your msg! I’ve found the info you’ve mentioned and I think I’m not at this level, I’m looking for tutorials that I can follow on my deluge for drums sequencing

Thks

AutomaticFormAutomaticForm United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 12

This guy made a really nice PDF booklet of patterns for all kinds of genres. I downloaded it and printed it at a FedEx for a few dollars: http://shittyrecording.studio/

My own 2cents about that flat/basic feeling: try to use at least 4 bars for variation, make sure you're using slightly unquantized hits - especially for hiphop. Also you can add a very fast delay time with a little bit of feedback to something like your snare and it will sound a little fuller.

Hope this helps a little at least

Great tips thanks!

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

@AutomaticForm said:
    This guy made a really nice PDF booklet of patterns for all kinds of genres. I downloaded it and printed it at a FedEx for a few dollars: http://shittyrecording.studio/

wow thanks! This book seems to be really great.

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

edited October 2019

My own 2cents about that flat/basic feeling: try to use at least 4 bars for variation, make sure you're using slightly unquantized hits - especially for hiphop. Also you can add a very fast delay time with a little bit of feedback to something like your snare and it will sound a little fuller.

Hope this helps a little at least

another 2 cents>
    1. change velocity (volume) of certain pads to bring out variation in volume like the hats or ride
    2. Even less volume for ghost notes on the snare
    3. Use the random command, say for example on the high hat to mix things up a bit
    4. Use some reverb on some parts like snare or bass drum but not all parts so gives some variation in depth
    5. Pan over some drum parts over to the left or right
    6. Snare stacking - have 2 or more samples (e.g. snare + clap + woodblock) sounding at once

Post edited by DiamondEyes on

🌻🌻🌻 Thanks a lot I will try all of these 🌻🌻🌻

Great additions, thanks!

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28833/sheets-for-drum-sequencer

There are some basic patterns on this forum page you can easily translate onto the deluge grid and play around....

Xyz123Xyz123 Posts: 1
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by Xyz123 on

Thanks!

SiccaViccASiccaViccA OsakaPosts: 68

btw theres also a shared drop box link inside *top rated post * in this forum.. the link has loads or deluge grid chats with tons of beats from all genres.. i hope its useful to you .

@SiccaViccA said:
    btw theres also a shared drop box link inside *top rated post * in this forum.. the link has loads or deluge grid chats with tons of beats from all genres.. i hope its useful to you .

It would be nice to post the link to the thread, the headline or some more information in here. There are lot links in this forum

KomplexKomplex Soundform RecordingsBeta Tester Posts: 82
    edited February 2020

Couple of tips off the top of my head:

1. Use different velocities
    2. Use LFO's to modulate the samples (take your pick of LFO destinations)
    3. Layering and mixing to make the layers not conflict (use the EQ's and Filters)
    4. IF you want to use multiple tracks, try setting different pattern lengths for different drum sounds
    5. Probability function
    6. Use your own samples
    7. Resample and edit

Sound design is equally as important as the sequence itself.

Post edited by Komplex on