Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Expressive Patches

Topo_ChrisGTopo_ChrisG San FranciscoPosts: 11

Hi Everyone. I’d like to make some patches to use my Linnstrument with my Deluge. I’d like to control the volume/loudness of my sound using aftertouch pressure instead of Env1.

I set ENV1 to instant attack/decay. Then I set Master Level very low and modulatenit with after touch. The trouble I’m having is that with this technique the max loudness is still very quiet, even if I max out the modulation amount.

Does anyone know a better way to do this? I’d also appreciate expressive patch tips in general. Thanks!

Comments

OdoSendaidokaiOdoSendaidokai BerlinPosts: 326

I'm interested too.

Odo Sendaidokai from Berlin

RhyminGarFunkleRhyminGarFunkle Tucson, AZPosts: 16

After experimenting a bit (just with my controller's aftertouch, I don't have a Linnstrument), I'm not certain if you can get exactly the behavior you're after - with zero pressure the volume is 0, and at maximum pressure the volume is also maxed. It seems that every mod source except velocity acts as a multiplier, meaning if you start with the volume at 0, any amount of aftertouch that you multiply it by will still be 0, and if you start with it at a low value it can't get much louder. Velocity, at least when applied to master volume, adds to the base value, so you can start at 0 and end up with the max amount. I also tried modulating the amount that velocity affects master volume by aftertouch, my thinking being that you could fix velocity to max from your MIDI controler, but it doesn't appear that that's something you can do either - patching velocity to master volume seems like a special connection that works differently from everything else.

Interestingly, if you set the master volume to max and the aftertouch to negatively modulate the master volume, I could go from full volume to completely silent. If the Linnstrument can be configured to send inverse aftertouch, where no pressure is 127 and max pressure is 0, you could get your desired behavior that way.

Topo_ChrisGTopo_ChrisG San FranciscoPosts: 11

Wow thanks for your help Funkle! I’ll keep looking at this and update this thread.