Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Midi features questions/requests

niackniack bxlBeta Tester Posts: 12

Hi, i'm still hesitating on this machine. So, i'm wondering if the following features are implemented or will possibly be at some point in the future. They might sound obscure and advanced but i believe they're very useful (..and probably not too hard to implement (if a bit boring...)):

1. Midi remote control: Is it possible to remote control the Deluge, which means that every physical control on the Deluge would (optionnaly) send a midi message (typically sysex) when used. This rare feature (yet found on most yamaha stuff e.g.) is very useful for studio integration, and it allows for performance midi recording/editing etc...

2. Midi feedback at patch/project/screen changes.
    Explanation: The big missing thing for me is the lack of direct control of synths/sampler/etc parameters. So, i plan on using it with external midi controllers, like the BCR2000, that can automatically change their knobs positions to match a patch when it is loaded (e.g. in Ableton).
    To work, it just needs the DAW or Deluge to send all patch parameters when it is loaded. Is this feature implemented on the Deluge? Patch parameters is just an example, it could also send other parameters, like the actual state of the grid when changing screens, so to be used in conjunction with remote control, etc.

3.Playing/recording/editing of midi less simple messages: nrpn, sysex, ..
These messages are often bypassed by hardware and software sequencers, but are a must with a lot of older midi equipment.
That involves the possibility to send/receive patch dumps from external synths etc.
To be able to record/play sysex datas would be very useful. To be able to edit them, even better!

Thank you!

Comments

The MIDI Learn function allows external control of most of the deluge parameters.
    But as far as I know the parameters don't have preset SysEx / CC outputs, nor do they output values once learned that you could record in a DAW or use for LED bargraph feedback, etc. That is drag number one.

Drag number two is that there is currently no way to have the controls you learn apply to the active clip parameters.
    So if you wanna control different synths/clips you've gotta teach every single parameter to respond to a new external control for every new synth/clip, which obviously takes time and requires a s$#t ton of physical controls.

The Deluge is super fun but it's hard to believe the above is still absent after all this v3 work on MIDI host and looping.
    I really hope I'm missing something about the new update and hope I am promptly corrected on all this.
    -d

niackniack bxlBeta Tester Posts: 12

Ok, thank you for your answer!
    I guess deluge's synth sends & receives mid CC for most parameters and that's it..

I understand that implementing more "advanced" midi stuff is not a priority, but i hope they'll soon think about the midi "feedback" or "snapshot" (n² 2 above), because the lack of extensive imbedded controls is a big minus in my book. And midi feedback makes your controller act like it is embedded..

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

@niack said:
    I guess deluge's synth sends & receives mid CC for most parameters and that's it..

Synth, audio, and CV clips don't send any MIDI messages at all. MIDI out is only sent from (1) MIDI clips and (2) kit rows configured to send MIDI instead of play sound. I don't think there's any way to get Deluge to send MIDI corresponding directly to any sounds it's playing.