Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Performing live. A simple bassline fade in. How to ?

torgatorga LisbonPosts: 19
edited August 2019 in Deluge Help

I bought the deluge mainly to perform live. I have read the manual, but i might be overlooking something. Im using a midi controller because it s impossible to perform live controlling only one track / instrument at a time. What i am doing currently is to assign the master volume of the instrument to a midi fader. It works. I want to fade in the bass track in the mix. But i want to do it in a way that when i set the midi fader at the max position the volume is not set at 50 in the deluge, because that is not the mix/ volume i want. How can i do this ? Finding optimal volumes during a live performance is impossible, the mix volumes have to be set previously.

Post edited by torga on

Comments

anyone ? is this possible ?

pikeypikey IrelandPosts: 17

I don't think it's possible to set a range for midi learn unfortunately.

If you're only using one oscillator or two oscillators which are balanced evenly then you can midi learn both osc volumes to one fader and set the master volume to the desired mix volume.

RhyminGarFunkleRhyminGarFunkle Tucson, AZPosts: 16

Alternately, just set the mix volume via the oscillator volumes and keep controlling the master with the controller, so that a volume of 50 is the final mix volume. Or go really low-tech, put some masking tape on your MIDI controller and mark the position on the controller that corresponds to where you want the bass levels at. It's a shame that there's no "constant value" modulation source, that would make this pretty easy.

PuppeteerPuppeteer Perth, West OzBeta Tester Posts: 52

See if you can send expression MIDI CC's. This is exactly what this was designed for. It's like a volume fader that goes from zero to whatever MIDI CC7 (Volume) is set to. If this doesn't work, then I'd like to make it a feature request.

edited August 2019

@pikey said:
    I don't think it's possible to set a range for midi learn unfortunately.

If you're only using one oscillator or two oscillators which are balanced evenly then you can midi learn both osc volumes to one fader and set the master volume to the desired mix volume.

@RhyminGarFunkle said:
    Alternately, just set the mix volume via the oscillator volumes and keep controlling the master with the controller, so that a volume of 50 is the final mix volume. Or go really low-tech, put some masking tape on your MIDI controller and mark the position on the controller that corresponds to where you want the bass levels at. It's a shame that there's no "constant value" modulation source, that would make this pretty easy.

Thanks for the replies, guys. That is what i have been doing for drums, to set the max volume with the oscillator volumes. but for other synth patches that dont have even oscillators volumes it doesnt work. I Think this is a really important feature to have. without this i cant perform live. well, i can, but my mixes will sound terrible. We need this funcionality not only for volumes, but for all parameters. i need to set max and min values for cut off on a bass patche, min and max range release for stabs and so on. tweaking parameters live without having set ranges leads to bad and unknown results.

Also, i find this machine great, but the poor fx section is also putting me down. I cant roll of bass from a delay line, which is essential for adding delay to a bassline nor i can control the phaser frequency and flanger manually, only random lfo modulations are allowed. that wouldnt be bad if the lfos were good and let you set other sync values and the start phase, but they dont. if you guys have any ideias how to overcome this lack of features on the poor fx, please tell, because this is really making me sad. i'm even considering to buy an akai force. I want to make full tracks with only one machine. this is 2019, it shouldnt be too hard to achieve.

Post edited by torga on
    KenoubiKenoubi United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 46

@torga said:
    other synth patches that dont have even oscillators volumes

Not that this makes things great, but only ring modulation synths don't have oscillator volumes. Subtractive and FM synths both do. (I'm actually not sure why they don't; I guess because ring modulation multiplies the oscillators together so in theory there's nothing you can do with a volume control on an oscillator that you couldn't do with the master volume instead.)

I feel like there should be some sort of trick to make it work even with ring modulation. The obvious answer is to modulate the master volume, but I'm not sure what mod source to use. I've used a really slow square wave LFO as an effectively constant value, but it probably can't go slow enough to use it for this kind of purpose...

RhyminGarFunkleRhyminGarFunkle Tucson, AZPosts: 16

@Kenoubi said:
    I've used a really slow square wave LFO as an effectively constant value, but it probably can't go slow enough to use it for this kind of purpose...

I just tested, at the slowest setting the square LFO takes about 1:42 to go from high to low. Since LFO2 is individual to and retriggered on each new note, tying LFO2 to master volume as a square wave and using the "amount" to set the mix volume should work for most applications - the only things that wouldn't work are constant drones that go on longer than a minute and a half, and of course any patch that depends on LFO2.

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

There are MIDI controllers that allow you to program output ranges (e.g., http://www.faderfox.de/pc12.html) and smart MIDI boxes that can do the same (e.g., http://midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm). I also like the tape idea.

I also wonder whether the predetermined best level will really be better than what sounds right during a performance.