Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Multi-sampling - No auto-pitch detection mode in synth patches (only use file names)

MyrkMyrk Bristol, UKPosts: 93

A simple firmware suggestion - can we have the ability when loading multi-samples in a synth patch to not use the internal pitch detection and correction, but just load up the notes as they are named and do nothing to them?

I use a lot of complex sounds and to be honest the Deluge just isn't handling it well at all - I often load up 30+ samples, all nicely named, and they come out all over the place with multiple ascents in pitch which really makes no sense, and in such a way that it's almost impossible to correct with manual tweaks. As a result I am mostly assembling multi-sample synth tracks fully manually which takes a long time.

This would also be really handy if the sounds on the multi-sample synth are not all the same, but maybe a strange variety of tones - great for quick splits!

Comments

krunchrkrunchr Mainz, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 70
    edited June 2019

I had similar experiences and would wish that the automatic pitch detection could be switched off (as option). However, I avoid this problem by tagging the root keys inside the audio files via software (e.g. with EndlessWAV).

Post edited by krunchr on
    mr_sailormr_sailor Posts: 1

I had the same problem with a large sampling library that I sampled myself - notes and cents were off most of the time. In the end I solved it with a Perl script that created the instrument XML from a template.

Another request that's fairly easy to implement:
    The file name should allow for the midi note number instead of note names.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

yeah, argued for that on fb too, i think using the root note wav tag is nice to have but it should not be a priority. also on some non-harmonic material pitch detection doesnt work, there should be a way to force file names.
    works nice on most multisamples i tried so a force-mapping-by-filename would be a very helpful optional method.
    i dont know if and how people use the “BASIc" import mode (besides “SINGle”, “MULTi", "ALL"), for me it would be perfect to add mapping-by-filename to “BASIc".

manysoundsmanysounds The GunksBeta Tester Posts: 43

Definitely need this. I have some harmonically complex multi-samples that the pitch detector method is failing on.

MyrkMyrk Bristol, UKPosts: 93

As far as I'm concerned the priority of note detection is wrong - using pitch detection should be not the 1st step, but a last resort for the deluge. If there is no file name saying what the note and pitch is then the note detection should kick in. Anything else is contrary to what the musician is trying to achieve, so you end out literally battling with your deluge unit. A very frustrating experience that almost made me throw my unit across the room after spending 4 hours trying to get 3 notes to just appear in the location where I set without extending the range or just plain old getting the pitch completely and utterly wrong.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Use the free program EndlessWAV and batch-insert note name metadata based on the filenames (super quick).
    This will override everything else and put the samples in the positions the metadata tells them to be.

https://bjoernbojahr.de/endlesswav.html

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

edited February 2020

Experimenting with reducing the size of my multisamples.
    Presets always seem to work when I go full scale (12 samples per octave).
    I tried by removing every second semitone keeping 6 or 3 samples with equal distance per octave.
    Works quite well, still from about 40 multisample instruments about 10 got a few samples wrong.
    I felt "bread and butter sounds" go well. Rather the disharmonic sounds (fx/pads) or pitched but highly variable sounds can be a problem I found.

Still no luck fishing for a WAV tag editor on Mac. Are any alternatives to EndlessWAV known?

Post edited by amiga909 on

I am stuck here. One way would be to get a PC and do it with EndlessWAV. The most known root key usage in wav files seems to come from Sonic Foundry and their "Acidized" wav's, I found some spec for that.
    However, I am loosing interest ;-) there should be a specification for the WAV tag implementation for the Deluge, WAV tags are obscure imho. I'll try mr_sailor idea next, writing XMLs seems to be the best way.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@amiga909 said:
    I am stuck here. One way would be to get a PC and do it with EndlessWAV. The most known root key usage in wav files seems to come from Sonic Foundry and their "Acidized" wav's, I found some spec for that.
    However, I am loosing interest ;-) there should be a specification for the WAV tag implementation for the Deluge, WAV tags are obscure imho. I'll try mr_sailor idea next, writing XMLs seems to be the best way.

Extreme Sample Converter is another program I know deals with the metadata. Not sure it that's only on pc too, though.
    I do prefer EndlessWAV however, it really makes everything much simpler.

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

@mr_sailor said:
    I had the same problem with a large sampling library that I sampled myself - notes and cents were off most of the time. In the end I solved it with a Perl script that created the instrument XML from a template.

Another request that's fairly easy to implement:
    The file name should allow for the midi note number instead of note names.

Creating XML preset files is easy, did it in 30min while spending hours on trying out fragging wav tag writers :)