Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge: Can you "program" program changes?

CandyGarageCandyGarage MontrealPosts: 8

(I do not have the Deluge)

As far as I understand, you can assign a PGM message to any MIDI track.

So, in theory, you could have multiple midi tracks, set on different channels each, with 1 PGM assignment each... is this correct?

So when you play your song, PGM are sent when those midi tracks start to play...

My question is: What if you want to send different PGMs in the same song (to the same external synth)? How do you automate the PGMs across a song (or a pre-programed live show section)?

Can you change (or automate) PGMs between the different parts (say verse & chorus) using the SAME midi track? Or would you use several midi tracks set on the SAME midi channel each having a specific PGM value? Or it is just impossible to program progam changes?

Here what I found in the manual: "MIDI tracks have additional options for the outputting of PGM (program) change and bank select messages, for changing the active preset on an externally connected synthesizer. If you set any of these numbers for a MIDI track, then anytime that track is launched, or its song is loaded, or playback is begun, the appropriate message(s) will be sent on the track’s MIDI channel."

(x-post with Reddit)

Comments

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

So, in theory, you could have multiple midi tracks, set on different channels each, with 1 PGM assignment each... is this correct?

Yes.

So when you play your song, PGM are sent when those midi tracks start to play...

Yes.

My question is: What if you want to send different PGMs in the same song (to the same external synth)? How do you automate the PGMs across a song (or a pre-programed live show section)?

You automate different PGM changes on the same midi channel by cloning the track (to create a different colour group) then editing a new PGM on the new group, so when you change groups the Deluge will send the new message.

Can you change (or automate) PGMs between the different parts (say verse & chorus) using the SAME midi track? Or would you use several midi tracks set on the SAME midi channel each having a specific PGM value? Or it is just impossible to program progam changes?

Yes... & See above.

Make sense? :smile:

CandyGarageCandyGarage MontrealPosts: 8

Yes, this makes sense and let me thank you for taking the time to answer my specific question :-)